0.5

Days had flown by swiftly and day by day Ximena talked less.

She would just cry herself to sleep whether it was day or night and it was killing the Alonso-Garza's softly.

"Ximena" Fernando said, grabbing the three year olds attention "We need to talk to you"

The usual fear in her eyes multiplied and she nodded slowly.

"I know you might not want to talk about it but can you tell us how you lived?" Fernando asked.

She shook violently, her breath picking up.

"Mi mundo" Esmeralda cooed, placing her in her laps "it's okay"

"I told you this was a bad idea Esme" Fernando spoke harshly.

"N—No I want say" she stammered.

"Are you sure, mi mundo?" He asked softly.

She nodded.

"I—I live in that small room and I can't see" she explained "at first they nice to me I made two friends but they not feed me t—then the bad man came and he beat me and the red juice came out of my head and I fell asleep"

Esmeralda gasped but inhaled, not wanting the tears to run down her face.

"How old were you?" He asked, hopeful that she would know.

She shrugged.

"Was it recently?" He asked again.

"No" she shook her head "Friend said Why he do this to a one year old"

"Bad man came again and he told me the date" she whispered.

"What date?" He asked curiously.

"I—I know" she whispered, scared "Fifty Nomember"

"You mean fifteen November," Esmeralda corrected.

She nodded.

"What did he do next?" Esmeralda asked and tears began flowing down her cheeks.

She cried loudly making Esmeralda coo at her, trying to shush her.

"I—I" she stammered, not knowing what to say.

"Mi mundo—" Fernando made his way to her but she pushed back, her tears flowed freely.

She jumped off her mother's lap and run off.

"Something happened to her," Esmeralda cried.

Fernando nodded, pulling his crying wife into a hug.

"Dad," Avarez said, making them pull apart "What happened?"

Fernando sighed and Esmeralda cried even louder.

"Her abuse started on Fifteenth November" he explained briefly making Avarez eyes widen.

"Her b—birthday" he whispered.

"Her first birthday" Esmeralda mumbled "her abuse started on her first birthday"

***

Dinner was silent, extremely silent. Usually the boys would be messing around, making a mess making Ximena giggle secretly.

She glanced at her mother who was slicing chicken for Alverio who scrunched his face in distaste but didn't say anything.

He didn't like it when she cut his chicken for him.

The evening went by in a blur and Ximena climbed into her bed, tired.

She glanced out the window, hating how she found fear in the simplest of things.