IV

Synopsis: Trust is broken

Warning(s): Explicit language, graphic death, blood, violence, gore, possible smut(?) more to be added in series...
Note: I had like 8k words written and had to cut like 4k because it was so much. I hope I didn't ruin the flow. But if I did, smile and nod.
______________________

"Thank you for this, Liu," Nico said. He sent a grateful glance to the monk over the stack of old books in his arms. The worn texts held a surprising amount of weight on them.

Liu Kang, walking at an easy pace beside Nico, glanced at him and returned a polite smile. "I told you it was no trouble at all. In fact, I appreciate your asking." He said.

"Oh?" Nico's eyes flicked into his.

"It is my duty to help everyone in this temple discover and control their arcana. Lord Raiden insisted I focus on the Chosen Ones, and leave your training to my cousin, but that day in the altar room, I realized Lord Raiden was wrong." Liu Kang explained as they came to a stop at an patch of the archives.

"Woah, are you feeling okay? I thought I was the only one in this temple with enough balls to call Raiden's bullshit. Besides Kano, but he doesn't count because he's a piece of shit. Anyway, I think I've strayed." He rambled.

Liu Kang chuckled. "While your first point is debatable, I won't disagree with your conclusions about Kano." He joked.

Nico laughed. "I'm glad you're messier than your cousin, but I have to rope back around to Raiden being wrong. Wrong how?"

Liu Kang exhaled slow. His smile fell to a pensive line. He lifted the last book from the stack in Nico's arms. "Raiden insisted I focus on the Chosen Ones, but he excluded you. That day in the altar room proved you were chosen like the rest of us."

He opened the book. The aroma of stale vanilla misted the air. Dust from the pages followed. Liu flipped the pages with purpose. With each snap, his brow furrowed further. He even nibbled his bottom lip in concentration. Until, finally, a triumphant grin spread on his lips. "Ah, here it is." He extended the book to Nico.

"One sec," Nico limped toward an old table between the bookshelf and the wall. He dropped the stack of books onto the table. He thought it would collapse under the weight. Luckily for him, it didn't.

Nico turned and grabbed the dusty leather. The tanned pages exposed were painted with a vivid image of an endless sea of soldiers. Their armor ancient, and faces hollow skulls. Their eyes held supernatural glows. The army, however, wasn't the most striking thing. There was a tomb with the shape of a dragon drawn onto it. Beneath the drawing, inscriptions in a language Nico couldn't recognize.