XI

Synopsis: Betrayal

Synopsis: Betrayal.
Warning(s): Explicit language, graphic death, blood, violence, gore, possible smut(?) more to be added in series...
Note: It's been a hot minute.
______________________

Nico startled awake. The muscles in his neck screamed as a burn stiffened them. He groaned. His neck had been dangling for a while. It was evident in the ache. That same ache echoed within his wrists and ankles.

Something was wrong.

His eyes snapped open. Widened by the sight of his greatest enemy before him. He lunged at Quan Chi, but his movements only served to pain one person. Himself.

Chains rattled and bucked against his skin. "Ah!" He screamed. His skin pinched between the metal cuffs. Further darkening the bruises on his limbs.

Quan Chi's laughter erupted a fire in the room. The light illuminated faces once obscured by the blur of waking. Mileena, Kitana, Sareena, and Kung Lao stared blankly at him. The sight of Kung Lao didn't ease his panic.

This wasn't part of the plan. "What..." Words failed him as he looked into Kung Lao's dead eyes.

His heart crashed and burned in his gut. The fires of betrayal charred the organ beyond repair. He grunted and pulled on his chains without thinking. The sharp pain stiffened him at once.

"Did you really believe you'd gotten through to him?" Quan Chi chuckled. He motioned for Kung Lao to approach without taking his eyes out of Nico's.

Kung Lao stopped before Nico. He sat obediently as Quan Chi grabbed his chin. His grey eyes cold inside of Nico's.

"He belongs to me." Quan Chi's grip was tight on his chin. "His mind, his body... his soul. Every moment you shared last night, was a moment I drew amusement from. You're pitiful. Not only as a God but as a man. Desperation has an untreatable stench, after all."

Quan Chi released the monk. He retreated from Nico's line of sight. His boots drummed upon the blood-stained floors behind Nico. He lifted a paper made of skin and stroked a rune with his thumb.

"Alas," A pleased smile grew on his lips. "Everything I require to free our Lord from the amulet dangles within my reach." His minions chuckled at the dry pun.

"That wasn't part of the deal! None of this was. I agreed to open Onaga's tomb. Not—"

"That was never part of my plan for you."

"Bullshit," Nico hissed. He needed to stall long enough to muster strength. "Why mark me like this then? Why go through so much trouble?"

"Oh your marks were part of the plan, but a much larger one than you could've imagined. You could never open the tomb, you can barely twist a cap off of a bottle. You serve a much different purpose." Quan Chi answered.