VIII

Synopsis: In which Nico finds his fight

Warning(s): Explicit language, graphic death, blood, violence, gore, possible smut(?) more to be added in series...
Note: It's weapon time! I need to stop listening to Imaginary Future when I write them. It puts me in my feels lol. But Jesse and his wife, Kina, are amazing artists and their duets are always>>>> the songs in question are "I Knew This Would Be Love" (The album version is the best) & "This is Love" I really just love them lmao. Unproblematic sad faves. Literally my emotional support couple. Anyway, I'm done now lol.
______________________

Nico fell to his knees outside of the portal. The darkness of his apartment swallowed him whole. He slumped over Kung Lao's bones. They rattled as his body trembled with exhaustion.

He could've fallen asleep. Sank into the floor under the weight of the day. A creak in the floorboards made it impossible to slip away. A tired sigh escaped him. He didn't bother to look up.

"Nico?" Gasped Liu Kang. He stood before the steps up the platform. The bandages Kung Lao gifted to Nico were tangled between his fingers. Kung Lao's hat leaned against the step.

Nico looked up, the shock in his eyes matched Liu Kang's. "Liu Kang? What... what are you doing here?" He asked, leaning upwards on his knees. His eyes fell on the bandages. "Oh. Of course, the bandages.. they're.. I didn't even realize he brought them back."

What happened next shocked them both. Liu Kang crossed the room and pulled him in for a hug. So tight that warmth seeped through his bones. He shocked himself even more and hugged back. Just as tight.

"I thought you'd died." Liu Kang's voice was thick as the lump in his throat.

Nico's eyes shut. A breath trembled in his chest. "I wanted to," His words a faint whisper.

They pulled away at once. Liu Kang's eyes stormed as he gazed into Nico's. His brows weaved, only for a moment, then loosened with content. As if he'd found an answer to a question he never asked. He resigned to sit beside Nico on the floor. His eyes dipped to the bones nearby. Grief pressurized his chest. He tore his eyes away.

"I couldn't leave him." Nico deadpanned. His eyes glued to the bones. He couldn't help but think of just how macabre it was. Clinging to the bones of the man he may have loved. Who may have loved him back.

"Neither could I." Liu Kang stared ahead at his cousin's hat.

Nico looked up at him. Eyes burning as they attempted to shed tears he didn't have. "I..." He stopped himself with the shake of his head. "I'm sorry for your loss." Was the appropriate thing to say. So he did.

What could he say? What could he possibly say to the man that knew Kung Lao his entire life? How could his pain begin to compare?

"My cousin was... He was a good man. A faithful man. He gave his blood, sweat, and tears to the Shaolin and Raiden. To our Shifu Bo' Rai Cho. He was the epitome of devout," Liu Kang broke his stare and caught Nico's eyes.