Chapter 1

When you think about it, no time has passed.

Since we were just kids, working out the world, and ourselves. No one could have predicted this. No one thought he was capable of this. I suppose that's how they get to the top. No one expects the quiet kid. They listen. They wait. They go behind your back. And betray you.

I watched a small mouse crawl over my motionless foot. Darkness seeped into every crevice, suffocating any possible chance of light. Dust had settled on my hair, my coat, my eyelashes, my nose, my lips. I could have been dead.

The water tasted rusty. The food was decaying. I had been here for weeks. My shovel had broken a fortnight ago. The bunker was too old. The apocalypse had already happened.

Boots stomped over the metal above my head. They were waiting it out. What they didn't understand was that I would wait longer. I had worked out a long time ago that he wasn't coming, that I was going to die down here. So what was the point in hoping anymore? I certainly wasn't going to hand myself over to them. Hell no!

Numbers and letters were scratched across the walls. I had cared at the start. Tried to keep myself sane. I had eaten, I had drank. I now only do it to stay alive. There is no craving anymore. The hunger had numbed, the thirst dulled. The was no way out.

I closed my eyes. Death would be nice. A release. This wasn't a life worth living. I fought, I tried my best, but I was backed into a corner.

A numb, cold feeling was beginning to consume me. Silence. Nice. Calm. Feeling started to fade. The tight bundle of sadness, and hurt, and despair unraveled, it's thread twining around my eyes and my neck.

Flowers bloomed, petals fell, stardust glimmered and danced. Balance restored.

Gunshots sounded out above me. A twinge of annoyance sparked in my brain for a moment. Reality came rushing back. A small sigh escaped my lips. Movement.

I had learned to not get my hopes up. No one was coming for me now.

Quiet should have resumed, but their were shouts, and thumps. Something was happening. I moved my head slightly to hear it better.

Softer footsteps pattered above my head, agile and precise. It reminded me of someone. They certainly weren't a Red Army solider. Perhaps, perhaps he had finally come. Hope shot through me.

We had lost so many, but gained so much. I thought it was the end for me, but maybe not!

Then, it was still. They had lost. I sighed. Faceless strangers, struck down. But then, I heard the soft footsteps. Groans sounded from above me, and the lid creaked open.

A face looked down at me smiling. Tears sprang into my eyes. Finally! Finally!

"Welcome back, Edd." They whispered.