Just like eight years ago

She felt just like eight years before, when she was about to start her surgical internship in Seattle. Except this time she wasn't laying on the couch of a dusty and unused house, she didn't have to cover her one-night-stand and kick him out. This time she was not alone. The guy from the bar, who then became her boss, teacher, lover and finally husband was spooning her, still fast asleep. Their sweet two-years-and-a-half daughter was sleeping as well in her new room next door. This time she was not alone. Something was the same though: she had the same headache as eight years before, because she'd spent the past evening catching up with Cristina, her person, who had come to Boston to visit her, as they were planning to do as often as possible. It had been just like the old times. Meredith hadn't drank, of course, but she was sort of sharing her twisted sister's hangover. They talked about Owen, who was about to be hired at the NewYork-Presbyterian, about Alex, who didn't want to leave his new house and planned to work at the private practice Arizona wanted to build, and all the other former colleagues.

"Are you awake?" Derek was caressing her whole body and kissing her neck, just like he only was able to do.

"Yeah, I was thinking about my first day as surgical intern, when I kicked you out of my house." They started laughing together, as Meredith turned to look at his sparkly blue eyes. He was still caressing her.

"You're gonna do as good of a job as you did that day. Remember how we saved Katie Bryce?" Meredith nodded, not able to say another word while wrapped in her husband's embrace.

***

"Go or you'll be late! I'll take Zola to daycare and then to visit the city." Derek was starting his Alzheimer's research at Harvard the week after, so he could meet the babysitter, they wanted to hire for any emergency, and help their daughter to get used to the new daycare.

Meredith kissed her husband and daughter, who were having breakfast at the dining table of their new house, before heading to her new workplace.

So many flashbacks were intruding her mind, while on her way to the hospital, that when she heard his voice, she really thought that the past eight years were just a dream and she was late for the first day of her internship.

"Grey!"

Meredith looked down at her belly, to make sure it wasn't the case, before turning around. To her disbelief, Richard Webber was standing in front of her with a big smile.

"Each of you comes here today hopeful, wanting in on the game. Remember?"

Meredith'd been worrying, because she was starting from scratch, without anyone she could rely on, but with the reputation of her mother on her shoulders. Though, while Richard was telling her the story of how he decided to move in with Catherine Avery and start teaching at the Brigham, she felt like home.

"But why didn't you tell me anything? Does Derek know?"

"I wanted this to be a surprise! And Derek doesn't know anything either." He was wearing a really big smile. "What's he doing?"

She started explaining Derek's plans for the current week, while heading to the office of the general surgery program director, Dr. Goodwin.

"Well, I really need to go now, but you're invited at dinner one of these nights!"