50th

Since Meredith had been called to the hospital for an emergency, Derek was running back and forth to make sure that the kids were fed and he was not too late.

Suddenly, he heard a knock on the door.

"I should have called, I know. But if I called, you would have said no and I couldn't get to see how grown up Zola is and meet my new nephew!" Amelia Shepherd had entered the house just like a hurricane and picked up Bailey, who was looking at her with curiosity.

"Um, hello to you too! I haven't talked to you in months. Amy, what are you doing here?"

"A thing happened: James proposed and I freaked. Suddenly there's the possibility the I may be facing the kind of life you and Meredith have, so I thought I would come visit, to see how it's like, and get un-freaked!"

"Actually, I'm really late! Zola, you'll stay home with Bailey and Auntie Amy. Bye!" Said Derek, heading off to work, while quickly texting Meredith the news.

That evening Meredith and Derek even had the luxury to go out for dinner, without worrying about the kids, but when they came back home, it looked like robbers had come

That evening Meredith and Derek even had the luxury to go out for dinner, without worrying about the kids, but when they came back home, it looked like robbers had come. Every inch of the living room was full of toys, and among them Amy was sobbing, covering her face with her hands.

"The kids are fine, but I can't do it. I can't do this!"

"You should go fix your sister!" Meredith said, looking around to understand where to start putting all the toys away.

***

Derek, since their father's shooting, had always been hyper protective of Amelia to the point that he made her question her own capabilities. It was true that she'd had a troubled adolescence, she'd been a drug addict and an alcoholic, but no one, not even Derek, her only father figure, really stopped to ask her why she kept self sabotaging. What made it worse, was that everyone she knew was always ready to judge her and tell her what to do. And so, she'd always felt doomed. The loss of her baby made her realize she couldn't keep living at the bottom of the barrel, so she painfully and slowly stood back up. Those around her, though, who were aware of her baggage, couldn't see past the problematic Amelia and kept acting like she was still a fragile, poor little thing. Derek was no exception. She felt much more herself, while hanging out with Meredith. They weren't exactly close and had never engaged in meaningful conversations, but she was the only one who didn't care about her baggage. That's the reason why, when Meredith asked her about her engagement situation, while they were prepping for a surgery she had been asked to perform, she snapped at her: "You know, I prefer when you are the sister-in-law, who doesn't give a crap about me!"

During the surgery, though, Amelia felt guilty, because she didn't mean to react like that. The thing was that she didn't need another person, who felt they had the right to tell her how she had to live her life.

"You're not forced to stay with us, to help with the kids, you know that right?" Was Meredith kicking her out of the house? Out of her life now?

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have snapped at you like that before! I understand that you don't want to have me around anymore... " She had a sinking feeling, because she was really enjoying her time in Boston, doing random surgeries and spending time with her niece and nephew.