Chapter 3: The Interview

You lay there with the same thought running through your head. Why were you thinking about Bucky? You laid there for about 30 minutes until you were interrupted by a phone call, it was John.

"Hey, what's up?" You say over the phone with a monotone voice. You didn't have any intention of talking to him at the moment.

"Hey, can I meet you outside in 20 minutes, make sure you're dressed nicely, I've got a surprise for you," He says in an excited tone, before you could respond, he hung up the phone leaving you there sat in silence. Great... you thought. You get up from the couch and make your way over to your luggage that you had dropped in the hall earlier. You rummage through the suitcases for a solid 20 minutes before pulling out a long black dress that John had bought you for your birthday one year. It was sleeveless with a nice black fabric, it was tight from your breasts down to your hips and then fell off from your hips below, making a flowing effect.

You quickly pull it out and throw it on your ironing board, it had been scrunched up in a suitcase for who knows how long and you didn't want to look scrappy. As you iron out the creases of your dress you start to process what had just happened in the past hour, the shield which had resembled America was given up to the Government, and your boyfriend now holds the title of your late friend. At this point, the anger had left your body and you got to the last stage of grief, acceptance. As you finish ironing your dress you quickly throw it on over your lingerie and make your way over to your shoe rack in the hall. You pick out a nice set of black heels that you had previously worn to a party Tony Stark had hosted back in 2016.

You flick your eyes over to the clock on the wall and it read "7:20 pm" right on time. John would be here any moment to pick you up for his 'surprise'. A smile grew on your face, he really was a nice guy. You grab your purse from your handbag which had been hanging off of a rack in the hall and made your way out the door and down the elevator to the ground level. You step outside the elevator to find John in his army uniform. 

Shit.. when he said dressed nicely did he mean my uniform? You thought to yourself and you smiled and walked towards him and his car. As you close in on him, he embraces you in his arms, it was so warm. You look up at him with a smile on your face, you were happy to see him. 

"Sooo.. what's the surprise?" You say with anticipation in your voice. It was so sweet to think of you and want to treat you to something. He lets go of you and steps back, clearing his throat. He looks up at you with a proud look all over his face.

"I wanted to ask you in person... I have an interview at a high school football game in 40 minutes as the new Captain America and was wondering if you would be my special guest?" He says with his face clenched and his hands in fists waiting for your response, or, the response he wanted to hear. You were shocked, he wanted to get you all dressed up and ready for you to just please him. You thought maybe he would be doing something nice for the two of you in celebration of coming back home from the war, but no, this was all about him and his new title. The anger started to creep back in but you kept it hidden. You knew you had to say yes, you couldn't get all dressed up and ready just to go back inside and get undressed.

You look up at him with a fake smile written on your face trying to make it seem like you were surprised and shocked (in a good way). You could possibly be a Hollywood actress at this point.

"I'd love to!" You saying with a bit too much excitement in your voice, but he fell for it. He quickly hugs you and then lets you go again, now grasping your elbows in his hands. 

"Great! Well, we better get going, don't want to be late for my first debut as Captain America" He says as he lets you go and walks over to the driver's seat and enters the car, leaving you outside the car, having to open your door by yourself. Wow, he really has earned the title of selfishness, making his girlfriend come along to his interview about a title he doesn't even deserve. You know you should be happy for him but it just wasn't sitting right for you, you weren't happy for him at all.