Lord Soma and Agni

Chapter 14 

Lucienne was thankful that they had taken the carriage to get to the other side of town, even if they still had some way to walk to get to their destination. She was not as bothered by the area they walked through as either male had expected. Though she wasn't sure why neither of them considered that she might have seen worse in her long life. That didn't mean she was pleased when they stopped at the top of a long staircase that descended into the depths of a nondescript building. She already knew what they would be walking into would be worse than the filth and drunkards in the streets.

Even though Ciel had asked her to accompany them for the day, he stopped after only a few steps and turned to her with a furrowed brow. "Perhaps it would be better for you to remain out here while we conduct our business."

Lucienne smirked as she said, "Did you forget that you brought me because I can take care of myself? Out here or in there makes no difference. I am sure there is little that I have not seen at one point or another." She then paused and sniffed with a disgusted look as she said, "Besides, I have already met Mister Lau. I'm well aware of what to expect from him."

Ciel frowned at the reminder but finally nodded. "Fine, let us get this over with."

As soon as they entered the building, Lucienne's eyes started to burn, and the stench of burning opium filled her sensitive nose. She wrinkled it in disgust and tried to discreetly breathe through her mouth so it would not hurt as much. She hoped they could be gone before it became an issue. The farther into the building they walked, the worse it got.

Lucienne heard Lau before she saw him, "Ah, look who it is. The little Earl. Long time no see Earl Phantomhive."

She almost laughed when she saw Ciel's eyebrow twitch. She didn't need to be a mind reader to tell that he likely thought it had not been nearly long enough. Still, Lau didn't miss a beat as he said, "You are here for 'that' incident, aren't you."

Ciel gave him a curt nod. "Yes, if you are aware of what is going, we can dispense with the tedium. Let me get straight to the point. Since East End is under your control, you are aware of the number of people that move in and out, correct?"

Lau reluctantly put his pipe down after receiving a reprimanding look from the forboding butler and stood to lead them back out of the smoke-filled room and toward the street from a different door than how they had entered. "Of course. I have done as you asked. The balance between us is what allows me to continue doing business here in Britain."

By that time, they had made it outside, much to Lucienne's relief. They had not gotten far when Ciel impatiently said, "So?"

Lau turned back with that vacant smile and said, "Before I get into that, could you tell me what 'that' incident was?"

Ciel growled in frustration, and Lucienne didn't blame him. Not that she had expected much more from a man that was actively trying to drown out the rest of the world in a haze of opium. She was only shocked that he still managed to be a good businessman most of the time.

Despite their irritation at him, the group continued to walk through the streets of East End while the earl explained what was going on. Finally, Lau smiled and nodded, "Ah, I see. So you want to punish those mischievous people. Since there were no casualties, I assume you are getting involved because they targeted nobility or soldiers? Making an example for the common people. It must be so tiring for you."

Ciel made a frustrated noise as he said, "Nonsense." He then paused and looked around as he said, "More importantly, weren't you supposed to be leading us to a location where the perpetrators might be hiding? Where is it?"