explain

a/n : ty for 1k reads <3 strap in, it's kinda a long one

bzzz! bzzz! bzzz!

the alarm clock that sat right on el's bedside table let out loud obnoxious sounds, indicating the time for her wake up to get ready for her day at school. fortunately, el had already been awoken moments before, by mike's very distracting hands and kisses.

sunshine cast through her curtains, tinting the room with a blush pink hue. her bedroom window was cracked slightly, letting the chill morning air cool their flushed skin. she sat with his arms wrapped comfortably around her waist, her weight on top of his in nothing but his old band tee.

"mike! stop it! we have to get ready for school!" she complained through earnest, breathless giggles. but his shameless kisses across the flushed skin of her neck didn't seem to cease. "then.. we'll..be late." he spoke through kisses, his lips found their way down to her collarbones. "we can't." she whined, tilting her head backwards to give him further access, easily betraying her words.

her closed eyes unwillingly open to glance back at the clock, the bright neon green numbers read six forty-five am. she huffed, placing her hands on his bare shoulders to forcefully snap herself out of her daze.

"and just how suspicious will it'll be if we both show up late?" she knowingly queried with a quirked brow, already tugging herself off his lap. he's quicker though, hands already enclosed around her waist to tug her back comfortably.

he can't help the smile forming on his face at how paranoid she is. "it's only suspicious if you make it that way." he tilted his head down to give her a look. she pouted, both aware that she can often be overly conscious about anyone finding out about their.. situation.

"it's a good thing no one knows i'm having sex with el hopper at six in the morning, hm?" he teased before finally attaching their lips once again. she kissed back twice as hard, hands instinctively going to cup his jaw. she can feel the heat between her legs, subtly grinding against him to feel some sort of relief, whimpers falling past her lips.

an almost too loud shriek escaped from her throat when he flips them over, "quiet." he warned, unwilling to wake up her six foot something, two hundred pound something chief of police father this morning.

she vehemently nodded, her teeth bit into her lips before he presses them together again. he loves how no matter how hard or passionate the kiss may be, her lips are always as soft as butter and god, she could just kill him. as one hand rests on the curve of her waist, his other gripped the bottom of his ratty old t-shirt, moments away from tugging it off her.

but it seemed that the universe was against mike's previous words, el's worries and peaceful sex that morning.

because she doesn't even hear the front door unlock, or the footsteps up the stairs. the second the fabric left her body and met her carpeted floor, her door knob twisted open and she's finally pryed out of her daze just to hear max mayfield on the other side.

all before she can say a word or even register the fact her best friend is about to walk in on her half naked underneath mike wheeler.

"hey, sorry i'm early i-"

"MAX!"
"jesus— mayfield!"

her mouth immediately swung open, she stared ahead motionless. the school bag she had halfway slung across her forearm dropped to the floor, the books spilled out just like her stammers.

"i-i.. holy fuck." max managed to get out as she analyzed the situation she had just walked in on. the image of her best friend, eyes wide like a deer caught in headlights. lying in nothing but her undergarments underneath a very shirtless friend of her boyfriends, mike wheeler and oh god, it's way too early in the morning for this.