Untitled Part 20

Chapter Twenty

Willow

My mom doesn't come home that night, and part of me is glad. I don't want to see her or my dad yet. I'm honestly not sure I want to see any of them again, even if I do feel guilty and sick for thinking such awful things.

I consider cutting Chemistry class the next day to avoid another problem I'm not ready to deal with, but I've never been one for cutting class, so I drive to school, worried my current employment will be the topic of juicy gossip. Apparently, Everette isn't much of a gossiper, though, something I discover after class when I run into him in the hallway.

Literally.

"Oh, my God, I'm so sorry," I sputter an apology, stumbling back from him, feeling like an idiot for slamming into him while staring at my phone. I was distracted, checking my email to see if any of the jobs I applied for responded back.

A couple of places offered me a position, but they don't pay very much. Still, I might be able to get away with accepting two if I have to.

Everette offers me an understanding smile. "It's okay. I'm not very good at texting while walking, either."

"Still, I should know better after crashing into people multiple times." I smile back, nervousness bubbling in my stomach that he knows my secret.

"I'm sure everyone does it." He glances around the hallway then leans in, clutching the book he's holding. "I'm actually glad I ran into you. I wanted to make sure you're okay."

"Yeah, I'm fine," I mutter quietly, anxiety pumping through my veins.

"I don't want you to feel uncomfortable, and I promise I won't ever bring it up again," he says in a hushed tone. "But you ran off so quickly ... It had me nervous that maybe that guy hurt you or something."

"That's not why I ran off." I adjust the strap of my bag higher on my shoulder and peer around the mostly vacant hallway. "I was just surprised to see someone I knew there."

He nods in understanding. "I won't say anything to anyone. We all have stuff we don't want other people to know, right?"

I nod, surprised by his sincerity. "Thanks. I really appreciate that."

Smiling, he opens his mouth to say something, but Beck strolls up.

"Hey." He stops beside me, standing so close our shoulders touch. His gaze bounces between Everette and me before finally landing on Everette. "What's up, man?"

"Not much." Everette stuffs the

paperback into the back pocket of his faded jeans. "You playing soccer again this weekend?"

"I was thinking about it, but I need to check on a few things first." Beck grows quiet, rubbing the back of his neck.

Everette raises his brow like okay? "I guess I might see you there, then." He looks at me. "See you in class next week?"

I nod, and then he heads down the hallway, digging his phone out of his pocket.

I nervously turn to Beck. I haven't seen him since I gave him the list. I honestly didn't know how I was going to feel being near him again, if I'd lose it. But his nearness seems to calm some of the clusterfuck of shittiness currently crammed in my chest.

I discreetly eye him over, chewing on my lip. He's wearing a long-sleeved grey shirt, jeans, and a beanie with a few strands of hair sticking out from underneath. My eyes travel to his lips, and I find myself touching my own, remembering our kisses, how soft his lips are, how wonderful it felt to bite them, how life felt perfect for a moment. Completely and utterly and wonderfully, smile all the time, flutters in my heart, tingles on my skin perfect. But that was only a delusion, something I was reminded of yesterday.

I quickly try to force the mental images of the kiss away, and my senses go haywire from the scent of his delicious cologne, his overpowering warmth, and my desire to touch him again.

I stab my fingernails into my palms. Don't you dare. You already have too much to worry about.

Beck shifts his gaze to me, question marks and uncertainty flooding his eyes. I wonder if he'll bring up the list or if we're going to just act like nothing happened, like we did after the last kiss.

"You know him?" Beck asks, nodding in the direction Everette wandered off in.

"Um, yeah. He's in my Chemistry class." So not what I was expecting him to say. "He seems nice."

He nods, studying me intently. "He is."

The strange, hurt look on his face has me feeling lost. "How do you know him? From soccer?"