singer!Eugene x reader

this is an ask for @/dailyau on tumblr, and it's the AU for this oneshot!

sorry if he's a little ooc, i'm still learning how to write for him hehe.
this reader is also gn (gender neutral) for the most part!

~

He'd always be there, playing piano and singing at your roommate's band rehearsal. You knew he was the lead singer for the band. But, it was no surprise, Eugene could sing his soul out. That's just what attracted you to the gold-blond haired boy. The way he could carry a tune, the way his fingers gracefully flowed across the piano. Just his seemingly natural musical expertise overall greatly impressed you. 

You never actually watch them rehearse, you just listen through the walls, smiling to yourself. It's not that you haven't watched your roommate's band practice before. You actually watched their first rehearsal, as encouragement. You had sat and waited with the band while their lead singer arrived fashionably late. 

What you didn't expect, though, was a dangerously handsome boy to walk in. And you definitely didn't expect him to be a blessing to your ears. When they practiced their first song, you couldn't take your eyes off the boy. You were lucky he wasn't looking your way, because you were staring hard. They'd stop every so often to work out small problems they encountered, and every time he would glance at you. Every time you saw him look your way, your face would drastically heat up, and you had to pretend you didn't notice. But, you weren't fooling him. 

After that, you just couldn't go back. You couldn't control your constant staring and uncontrollable blushing, so to save yourself the embarrassment, you listened from the other side. 

But today, today is the day you finally go back. 

Today you wanted to hike up your boots, and finally sit in on a practice without becoming a nervous reck. You asked your roommate while the band setup if it was alright, and they told you that you can sit in whenever you like. But, they did have an inquiry for you. . . .

"Why are you suddenly sitting in again?" They fiddled with their guitar strings trying to get it tuned.

"I can't just sit in after a while?" You playfully asked, not wanting to tell them the truth. 

Your roommate stopped tuning and looked up at you. After a couple seconds, they started laughing. You stood there dumbstruck at their sudden outburst. 

"(y/n)," they said in between laughs, "I know why you want to watch again. You don't have to hide it, roomie." They playfully nudged your shoulder, telling you to let loose. 

You folded your arms in joking defense. "Fine, if you know so much, tell me, Sherlock."

"Don't think I didn't see the way you were looking at Eugene that day." They smiled as they seen you turn away a little, hiding your embarrassment. You didn't think it was that obvious to the point the other members saw. You heard the door squeak open and turned to face the very boy you weren't ready to see quite yet. 

In walked Eugene, nodding his head to the music in his earphones. You quickly whipped your head back toward your roommate as they raised their eyebrows at you. 

"Speak of the devil," they said, mischievously grinning at you. Your eyes widened and you slightly shook your head to tell your roomie you didn't expect to see him so soon. They playfully shrugged at you, and walked over the greet Eugene. 

"Yo, Eugene, what's up?" The two did a mini handshake they must've made up some time ago. You didn't look their way as you head to the couch. You could feel eyes watching you but you refused to turn to see whose it was. You sat on the corner of the worn yet comfortable couch, pulling your legs up under you. Your roommate told the other band members that it was time to start. 

You looked to your roommate, as they stood behind Eugene, teasing you. You rolled your eyes at their antics. Eugene turned towards the shuffling of clothes behind him. Your roommate quickly pretended to fix their guitar once again. They looked up at Eugene, and gave a small grin. 

"You ready to start this, 'Gene?"

Hearing this nickname made you a little envious at their closeness. But not a lot, as it's probably another way your roommate is trying to tease you. Eugene smiled back, adjusting the mic to his preferred height. 

"Ready when y'all are."

The other members - the bass player and the drummer - nodded, signaling they were ready.

"Alright," your roommate said, putting the strap of the guitar over their head, "Let's try that new song you've been talking about, Eugene."

The boy nodded, his floppy bangs bouncing with his movement. 

New song? Your roommate never mentioned a new song. They usually mention when the group would write a new song, or perfected an old one. Maybe this song was more personal to Eugene, maybe he just recently came up with this song. Your mind wandered off about what this song could be about. 

Eugene discreetly looked at you sitting on the couch, with a confused look on your face. He wondered what was going on in that pretty head. He smiled slightly, shaking his head at your cute expression. He turned to the drummer, giving him a nod.

With a nod in return, the drummer counted the group in with the clacks of his drum sticks. 

The sudden wave of sound hit your ears, bringing you out of your thoughts. The band started with a small guitar solo from your roommate. They skillfully let their fingers glide across the neck of the guitar, their pick strumming every right note. They were into it, wanting it to be perfect. 

Then, the bass and drums joined in. Together, they created a punk rock-esque melody. They played as if they've been playing this song for forever, but you've never heard it before. You always listen to what they work on, whether it's through the walls during their practice, when your roommate walks around humming one of their songs. This one, though, was not familiar. You adjusted in the couch a little, wanting to learn every part of this secret song. 

Eugene bobbed his head to the beat, catching the rhythm, preparing to sing. He clutched the microphone on its' stand, ready to sing like he never has before. You looked in your roommate's direction to see if they had any clue. Your roommate didn't return your gaze, though. Their vision was focused on the instrument in hand. 

As they played for a little longer, Eugene finally spoke into the mic. 

"This one goes out to . . . who am i kidding? They'll know who this is for." As he announced this, you didn't notice his eyes fixed on you. You were looking down at your hands, picking on the fabric of the already worn furniture. 

You could hear the laughter in his voice, like it his small announcement was for . . . No, you're getting ahead of yourself.  You heard Eugene take a breath as he started the unknown song.. . .

-------

A/N:

sorry! had to cut this one short (like every other one)! i'm sorry for the late update heh heh. ik i said i'd update it yesterday, but i got busy and couldn't find time. but now, here i am, uploading at almost 1! 

pls don't hate me for the continous part 2's and cliffhangers >.< i know this book is supposed to be oneshots but i get carried away and make it a little long. 

so with that said i want u guys to decide:

should i keep doing part 2's and upload everyday

OR

make one long story but it'd have to be updated every other day or so?

if u don't mind, pls leave a comment with ur decision!

enjoy this part 1 for now and i'll update it soon  ^^