Chapter 7: New Friends and a New Job

You had been doing your utmost to heal and hide your little mistakes in gearing up for this gig with Violet but slipped a few times. After some romps with Brian in your bedroom, you decided to hide your blade a little more carefully, taping it to the underside of your right bedside table rather than on a Band-Aid box, the latter of which you returned to the bathroom cupboard to avoid suspicion. Your jobs continued to dwindle as you turned them down, which worried Brian and your manager. Assuring them you would pick it up after this work with Violet, they backed down – or, at least your manager did. It was becoming increasingly difficult to avoid the topic with the drag queen, only adding to your mounting anxiety.

You pushed that out of your mind now, though, preparing to go see another show of his. Unfortunately, the pair of you couldn't escape home afterwards, because you would be off to have a meeting with Fame and Violet about this new video. Nerves nearly stopped you from even going to this show, but since Katya, Trixie and Violet were performing, you felt obligated, even if just to support your friends. Wanting to look chic enough to meet with Violet, Fame and their creative team, but casual enough for a club, you opted for pleated black slacks and a floral bustier style top, with a blazer you could take on or off depending on where you were. You lightly curled your hair and put on a very basic makeup look, wanting to let the team see what they could work with. Normally, for a casting you would be plain faced, in a black singlet and tight jeans, but Violet already knew she wanted to work with you, so you could push the look a little.

Satisfied with your look, you left your room to grab a red bull while you waited for Katya to finish getting ready. Stealing one of her cigarettes from the carton, you picked up your buzzing phone and stepped onto the balcony. Since your chat with Trixie the other day, the two of you texted almost daily; some of it was about Katya, but you actually got on quite well, which was a massive relief for you. Seeing her face lighting up your screen for a call, you answered, setting your phone against the ashtray so you could smoke.

"How are you not ready yet?" you asked, seeing her half-done face.

"I offer you the privilege of a call and you scope out my makeup job? How dare you? The audacity!" she shrieked, not quite looking at you as she filled in her ridiculous eyeliner triangles.

"Oh please, even Katya is almost ready, and you're on before her tonight." She shot you a pointed look.

"Okay, didn't know you were my new manager, but that's why I wanted to call. Can you get her to switch spots with me? She won't pick up her phone."

You watched in disgust as she licked an eyeshadow brush to fix the tail end of her eyebrow. "That's so gross," you remarked, lighting up.

"Not the worst thing I've ever put in my mouth. I'm a drag queen, hello." She finally looked at you. "But please?" Nodding solemnly, you drew from your cigarette. "Thank you. Now, you said you were going to be gone after the show tonight right?"

"Yeah, I have a work thing with Violet and Fame."

"I'll keep an eye on her," she said quietly, attention turned to her lips.

"Eye on who?" came Katya's voice as she dropped into view of your phone's screen. Your heart all but stopped for a moment. You let her take the cigarette from your fingers as she nestled her head in the crook of your neck.

Trixie glanced at you from the screen before smirking. "You, duh." Your blood ran cold, unsure of what she was doing. "Nah, Violet. Since Bambi has a meeting with her after tonight's show, she just wants to make sure Vi doesn't get too drunk." Katya laughed, moving to the seat beside you. She was swathed in a glittery red dress that read BONJOUR in bold white letters. "Not everything is about you, you know?"