5: Arguments and Regrets

"What do you think if we chill tonight, a little Netflix?" He asks, playfully tugging at my belt loop.

He smiles that damn cheesy ass smile and scrunches his cute button nose.

No.. no. Stay focused. He has to know the ramifications if he intends on continuing what we are doing. I don't want our friendship ruined because of this. What happens if we date and break up? I'm sure he isn't thinking how awkward it would be, sitting at the same table, hanging with the same crowd. What if we hate each other because of it?

It's going to be hard, but I have to let him down gently. I need to at least explain that I don't want to risk our friendship. I can't imagine hating him because of our break up.

"Har, we can't keep doing this. We've been friends since we were four and I don't want to ruin our friendship."

His smile fades as I say this. Slowly his entire attitude changes as his cute little nose scrunch disappears. His brows furrow and his eyes turn dark. He chuckles to himself and shakes his head.

"This is about Everett," He pauses, looking me up and down. "isn't it?"

His aura turns to a dark green as he simmers in my gentle refusal. I cannot believe he would bring Everett into this, he has nothing to do with this and there's nothing going on between us.

"This has nothing to do with Everett." I reply.

Harley scoffs and smiles through my truthful statement. Everett has nothing to do with this. I had no idea Harley could be this jealous.

"Of course it does, I see the way he looks at you."

Like any other human being? Yes, I'm sure he does.

"Like any other human being? Yes, I suppose so. But I like being friends with him, he's innocent. He doesn't know about my past."

Thankfully my parents don't know about Everett and I intend to keep it that way. They already stalk me when I'm away from the house, I don't need them watching him too. It's bad enough they stalk Harley and his family.

With Everett, he doesn't know about any of this. We can go to the movies or the mall or chill at home without worrying about my parents. I have a shot at a normal life. I really don't want anything romantic between him and I but one day, if we do, I will do it right. I would love him wholeheartedly and protect him the best I could.

"I know I can't give you the normal life you deserve, but you know as well as I do that I know how to help you with werewolf shit." He pauses and takes my hands in his. "He doesn't know what you are, he can't. He can't protect you like I can."

So what if Harley knows about the werewolf shit? We've known each other since we were little but that doesn't validate his argument. Harley knows the external version of myself, he doesn't know what I am thinking or what I do when he's not around.

The truth is, I always dreamed of a cheesy, peaceful life. I will be happily married, study radiography at Northampton Community College, have three children- complete with an SUV with the tacky '#momlife' sticker on the drivers side window. We'll have a golden retriever and a tabby cat at home waiting for me and my husband teaching my kids to fish- not teaching them how to hunt and kill werewolves.

Hopefully by then someone will develop a cure for lycanthropy, I don't want my children to deal with this. It's bad enough I have to deal with this and I didn't ask for this. If my kids inherit the genes, I have no idea what I'll do.

We'd have a big bohemian decorated house with a big kitchen where we could cook big family meals and a big yard for the kids to play- not for the kids to go down to the woods and be attacked by wolves. The house would have a two car garage attached with an in-law suite above it for my parents, or his, either way it would be used. Oh and a clubbed basement for parties and movie nights- not as a dungeon to torture werewolves.