Chapter Eighteen

Levi's back is turned to me as he stands before his squad in the courtyard. They all eye him intently, absorbing every word of his instruction before they commence their training session. A few pairs of eyes glance at me as I approach the group from behind him, stopping and standing with them.

They all eye me curiously, including Levi. I raise my brow at him, making him move his eyes away from me while he attempts to appear indifferent. I know him better though, he's just as curious as everyone else about why I'm here.

Maybe training with the squad will help loosen up some of the ongoing tension between us. I'll tip my toes in the water before trying to reason with him again.

He continues instructing, not letting my presence disrupt him. In fact, I take note of the fact he avoids eye contact with me completely. His eyes completely skip over me as he makes eye contact with everyone while he speaks.

"What are you doing here?" Eren asks me discreetly.

I stay facing forward as I reply. "Training with the rest our squad," I say as if it's the most obvious thing.

"Can't remember the last time you did," he mutters back.

He's right. I very rarely trained with them. No one minds me doing my own thing. I've proven I push myself harder than anyone else can and after learning the basics from Levi I work better practicing on my own.

"Laps," Levi orders.

Everyone gets right to it, running around the cleared area with out hesitation. I'm the last to follow behind and pause to glance over at Levi.

His eyes are already on me when I look over at him but they fall to the floor before I even have time to react. I recognize the look on his face, it's the same one that I met across the room the day of the expedition.

Well.

This is going to be hard.

My legs drag but I finally run behind the others and catch up easily enough.

"What's gotten into you?" Jean asks me, slowing down to run beside me.

"How welcoming of all of you," I laugh.

Eren slows down as well, running with me on my other side. "You can't blame us for wondering. Even the captain looked surprised by your attendance," he says.

"Can't I join in with you guys every now and then?" I ask.

Jean glances past me to look at Eren. "Maybe losing her fight with the captain finally humbled her," he jokes.

I punch his shoulder playfully. "He only won because I got distracted."

"Right," he replies sarcastically.

"Run faster before I remind you a few of my skills," I threaten jokingly.

He laughs but runs ahead regardless, choosing not to play with chance and find out if I'm only kidding or not. Smart boy.

"What else does Levi usually have you do?" I ask Eren.

He looks at me while he continues to run beside me. "Depends on-" he stops himself, his eyes falling to my neck. "Where'd you get that?"

I give him a confused look as I try to coordinate where his eyes are looking. My hand subconsciously reaches up to my neck as if touching it will make me remember. What is he...?

I freeze when I remember my encounter with Erwin yesterday. 

Oh god. What was I thinking. Levi's right, I do act impulsively when I get too much into my emotions. I wish I had a good explanation for what happened yesterday, but the truth is one one thing  left to another and...