2. Pain

It was starting to get dark outside as night time was approaching.

You were asleep but you slept very lightly and you felt on edge. The slightest noise would make you wake up. It was only Bruce coming in and out every now and then. Steve wasn't there.

"Bruce"

"Yes (Y/n)? Are you alright?"

"I just.. um.. where is Steve?" You asked.

He smiled slightly, "He'll be back soon. He just has a few duties to attend to. Why do you ask?"

"Oh I was just asking." You made as if it was just a simple question but Bruce knew you wanted Steve there.

"You look extremely tired. Did you get any sleep?"

"I have been but I keep waking up." You sigh.

"I see. And you're not feeling hurt at the moment?"

"No, thanks to the medicine you gave me but I still feel like I can't fall asleep properly."

"Don't worry. You will sleep eventually. Your body just needs to try and relax at this point and I know its hard but try not to think of what happened okay?"

You nod in understanding and close your eyes.

Soon you found yourself drifting off to a peaceful sleep. Sadly, that didn't last too long. About 3 hours later you woke up crying in pain. Your body was aching from head to toe and you felt like you couldn't move or else the pain would get worse.

"(Y/n), (Y/n) look at me." It was Steve.

You looked at him with tears streaming down your face. His eyebrows knitted together in concern. "Breathe..." He gently instructed which after a few times, you did and could calm down. Steve got up and gave you more pain medication. Bruce told him which ones he needed to give and the dosage. It wasn't that long before you felt better but still not 100%

"Feeling any better?" He asked and you nodded.

"But I don't want to sleep." You admitted.

"Why?"

"I'm scared. I don't want to wake up in pain again." You shivered.

"I'm here for you (Y/n)."

"Steve you really don't have to do all this."

"I want to make sure that you heal and that you're safe. I could leave-"

"No..." You said a bit too quickly. "I mean, I don't want you to go. You're good support and I want you here. I mean, you did rescue me."

He chuckled softly, "Alright. I'll stay then. But when you're better, you can go home so don't worry about being stuck here for long."

You grin then close your eyes as the medicine was making you feel drowsy. "Goodnight Steve."

"Goodnight (Y/n)." He whispered with smile.