** 5 - Warming up **

The sun was shining through my bedroom window, the smell of bacon tickled my nose as my dreams played tug-of-war with reality. The great thing about starting work on a Friday is having the weekend off.  I pulled the blanket over my head, but the battle was lost. I got up, pulled my night-dress straight and waddled sleepily to the kitchen. 

"First impressions be damned," I muttered as I made my way to the kitchen, "I need caffeination." 

As I got closer to the kitchen, I heard Zoe and Donna giggle. My bravado disappeared as I hastily tried to retie my hair. 

"We're making pants-cakes!" Donna giggled, mixing the pancake mixture with such vehemence that the mixture splashed all over her night-dress.

"Did we wake you?" Zoe's eyes travelled down my painfully naked legs, her eyebrow arched.

"Ye- uhm, no," I stuttered as I tried to pull my night-dress down unsuccessfully.

"Coffee?"

"Yes, please," I managed to croak out, my cheeks burned.

"It's Saturday," Zoe laughed, as she moved out from behind the counter showing off her very long naked legs, "Pants are optional."

"But, not pants-cakes," Donna added seriously, "You have to eat pants-cakes."

And we did. Pancakes, syrup, bacon and coffee. The breakfast of champions.

"So, the new school year is starting on Monday, I already ordered and received the curriculum, but I haven't gone through it yet. Do you mind going through it today?" Zoe asked when Donna excused herself to the lounge to build Lego.

"I don't mind," I responded genuinely excited to see what I'll be teaching.

"It's a homeschooling thing," she shrugged and got up to fetch it. A few seconds later she came back with a box filled with binded books and resources.

We went through the box together and I breathed a sigh of relief. It was very easy to follow and actually looked exciting.

My eye caught the English and Math resources, and I frowned.

"Isn't Donna only 5 years old?"

"Yes," Zoe's eyes followed mine and she smiled, "She's worked through Preschool Maths and English in 4 months last year and then continued and completed Grade 1 at the end of last year. So, yes. Grade 2 is next."

"I see now why you didn't even consider putting her in school," I told her thoughtfully, my head going back to how easily Donna calculated the measurements the other day, "she would have been bored out of her mind."

"Yes, she might be a bit young emotionally, but there's nothing wrong with her thinker," Zoe laughed.

"Well, I'm excited to get started," I smiled back.

"Woah there, tiger. This is Monday's worries, so with the introduction out of the way, you get to have the rest of your weekend off."

I frowned, feeling a sudden chill. "So, I'm done for the day?" My voice sounded hollow, betraying my attempt at nonchalance.

Zoe's eyes crinkled at the corners as she smiled. "You're free, Sabrina. No more work talk until Monday."

I looked away, fidgeting with my sleeve, trying to shake off the feeling of dismissal.

Zoe placed her hand over mine and my brain stopped thinking. I looked up and saw her warm green eyes smile.

"You, my dear, have a very expressive face. All I meant was that work was done. So, let's all get dressed then Donna and I will show you our town."