Chapter One

White bolts shock the dark clouds over the amity fields followed by low rumbles of thunder. Seated on a thick tree branch, back against the rough bark, I breathe in the rain scented air. Right before a big storm like this one, dad and I would sit in this exact spot, waiting for the downpour. Then we would watch it waiting for the rainbow that follows.

  He always said: "in life there will be storms, but it's important to know rainbows always follow." I hope my rainbow comes soon, because today was the start of my first big storm. My aptitude test results proved what I always knew; I am not amity, but I am divergent. Divergence, in this society, is a death sentence. The abnegation woman who put in amity manually warned me to never share that information with anyone.

Now that I have no test to trust, I have to trust myself.

  Erudite is definitely out, along with candor. Amity could still be an option but I will never be happy, and abnegation is already under pressure for supposedly harboring divergents. That leaves me dauntless; the faction of the brave. I've never truly considered them an option before now, mostly because they're so different from amity. Amity avoid conflict, they anticipate it.

  The cool droplets finally begin to fall pulling me from my head and I pull my knees closer to my chest. After cancer took away my dad, I moved in with my Aunt Jenna, who has completely different views than my father, and won't approve of dauntless. Not that I would take her opinion to heart, I've never truly felt like part of her family.

  The rain gets harder and I drop from the tree into the mud taking off in a run toward the house. She doesn't approve of tardiness either and I don't need a lecture after the day I've had. Entering quietly I slip past her and my cousin James to my bedroom to change.

  Clad in only loose amity pants and a strapless bra I stared at my reflection. Physically no one would doubt my amity origin. Mentally, however, is a different story. I am prone to anger and agitation the traits amity try to avoid, and I don't want to just work in the fields for the rest of my life. I want some adventure.

  Downstairs, Aunt Jenna and James are already at the table eating potato soup, smiles on their faces. Last year James chose amity and I know they both expect the same from me. I take a bowl of soup for myself thanking Jenna who knows potato soup is my favorite.

"How was the test? Did you cry?" James teases winking playfully.

"Not as hard as you did," I retort sticking my tongue out in his direction.

"Are you happy with your result?" Absolutely not.

"Yes, I am actually." I lie easily before taking a bite of soup.

"Good." Is all Jenna says before we all fall into a delicate silence, the only sounds are our spoons hitting the sides of our bowls. The growing lump in my throat makes it hard to swallow and I dismiss myself, using the excuse of extra sleep for choosing day.

  I dig around my closet for the box dad left me filled with pictures, my moms wedding ring on a silver chain, life letters, and a picture of us together. It was a month before he died, all of his hair had already fallen out, and I was twelve with short hair and a fake smile. Leaving all of the memories behind will be hard, but I know dad would want me to be happy, and leaving amity will bring me that.

Pushing all emotions and thoughts from my head I curl into a tight ball, switching off the light and pulling the covers up to my chin. Paisley Walsh; Dauntless.

********************************************

  Swallowing the breakfast that threatens to rise, I take a seat in the stands with Jenna and James. All morning they've been hovering trying to pick apart my poker face but have yet to succeed. Jenna probably has her doubts that I will stay, but to James amity is the only faction he can see anyone picking. Fiddling with my hair and chewing on the insides of my cheeks --- two nervous habits I need to stop --- I watch one sixteen year old after another chose the faction of their choice.