Part 13

"I've hungered for your touch

A long, lonely time"

  Waking up from your first night with Bucky was a feeling you would make sure you'd never forget. You knew he didn't get much sleep : you'd only  been to his room once, but you'd noticed the single blanket on the floor, which somehow reminded you of Steve's bed in the early years of your friendship. 

  "You didn't even move," you said as you woke up with his arm around you. "I feel bad I kept you in an uncomfortable position." 

  "Don't. I couldn't wake you up for anything in the world," he joked. "Even when you snored."

  "Lord, take me out of this misery," you complained as you got up from your bed, escaping Bucky's embrace.  "You were joking, right?"

  He grinned and shook his head no. Damn. You ran your brush through your hair and picked up  your phone on your way to the bathroom to brush your teeth. Checking your messages, you noticed a text from Steve.

  "Tony dropped off some papers for you. Didn't want to wake you guys up."

  Your heart jumped as you realised what papers Steve was talking about. Divorce papers. You rinsed your mouth, put on some jeans and a T-shirt before telling Bucky about the special delivery. 

  "All I have to do is sign them, then drop them off at Darren's," you explained. "Best case scenario : he signs them right away and I get to go back with them." 

  Bucky was already seated and he was getting ready to go change as well. "And worst case scenario would be...?"

  "He doesn't sign them at all, and I have to go through the court system," – you sighed – "which I really don't want to."

  "It's not gonna happen," he assured you. "I'm coming with you to make sure of it." 

  "You don't have to do that, you know?" 

  "I want to." 

  You slowly sat on his lap, wrapping your hands around his neck. "I'm a really lucky woman." You couldn't help but smile before kissing him quickly. "Okay. I gotta go read and sign those papers. If you want to make some coffee while I do so..."

  "Oh, I see, already taking advantage of my soft spot for you," he said. "I didn't think-"

  "So you have a soft spot for me, huh?" you teased, a nervous laugh escaping your mouth. 

  "Did I say that?"

  "Maybe. I guess we're even, then. Soft spots for each other sounds good."  

  You got up and put on your shoes. 

  "It does," he agreed. "Alright, I gotta make some coffee now." 

 ---

  "I didn't think I'd see you this soon."

  "Well, I'm full of surprises," you snapped at your future ex-husband as you handed him a small stack of paper. "I need you to sign this." 

  Darren's eyes kept going from you and Bucky to the papers. He grabbed the divorce agreement hesitantly and read the title.

  "What if I don't?"

  "You will." 

 Bucky's low and stern voice had unsettled your interlocutor so bad he opened his mouth without  saying anything.

  "If you don't mind, we'll come in and make sure you sign these," you said as you made  your way through the hallway of the building. "I also have some stuff I want back."