Chapter Seven: Comfort

Hawks feet hit the floor of the training arena before his brain even processed he was moving. He could hear the yelped cries of some of the other students who'd noticed Chizome fall.

Enji had stumbled back from Chizome's crumpled form, eyes wide and the flames snuffed out instantly, Hawks could see all over his face that he hadn't expected this.

What the fuck was he thinking going after him like that?! Chizome is barely a mid-tier fighter not whatever the hell Enji and Toshinori are!

Hawks knees burn as he slid on them, quickly checking Chizome's pulse. Steady. He glanced at his head. No blood, probably a little concussed though.

He started to pull back, ready to yell for the teacher when Chizome's hand snatched forwards, fingers gripping his wrist tightly as his eyes snapped open.

Hawks quickly looked back, taking in how hazy Chizome's eyes were as his grip tightened desperately. "D-don't go."

"I'm not leaving." Hawks turned to look at the teacher who'd started over at a quick pace. "He's concussed!"

The teacher winced as they broke into a small jog. "Any further damage?"

"Not that I can see." Hawks glanced back at Chizome who hadn't loosened his desperate grip on his wrist. Other students were clamoring.

Hawks could feel Enji watching on, his silence burning as he stepped back.

Hawks found it hard to swallow, and there was something rooted in his chest he didn't often feel, not towards Enji, never towards Enji...

Anger burned hot.

Hawks looked up to the teacher. "Could I take him to Recovery Girl? He probably needs the help."

The teacher opened their mouth a moment before nodding. "Yes, yes of course, get going."

Hawks was already starting to stand as the teacher turned towards the other students, their yelling lost to him as he gingerly hauled Chizome up.

Chizome swayed as he stood, eyes glassy and clearly not seeing. Hawks quickly wrapped an arm around his back to keep him upright. "Easy...easy okay let's get you to Recovery Girl okay?"

Chizome nodded, his head drooping to stare at his feet as he shuffled along with Hawks. "Mmmmph...sleepy..."

"You can sleep once we get there." Hawks focused on keeping Chizome moving and also not falling over as they made their way steadily into the hall and towards the nurses office.

Chizome's head lolled to the side, resting on Hawks shoulder as he let out a small sigh. "Fluff..."

Hawks raised an eyebrow. "What?" He's definitely loopier then usual...maybe the whole shuffling around acting like he's never heard of sleep is more then an act? Shit, that can't be good, sleep deprivation plus a concussion, he's going to have such fun with his headache-

"Your hair." Chizome spoke, his groggy voice breaking through Hawks thoughts. "It's fluffy. And nice. Suits you."

"Erm...thanks?"

Chizome smiled faintly, eyes still hazy. "Welcome."

Hawks shook off the weirdness the best he could as he half led, half dragged Chizome into the office. "Recovery Girl? Akaguro needs your help!"

It didn't take long to get Chizome settled onto a bed for Recovery Girl, who after her initial quirk fueled kiss bustled off to grab some extra things.

Chizome's eyes almost immediately closed, his full body relaxing into the bed.