Chapter 7: Suspicious Behavior

"Neal, the flight attendant requested we turn off our cell phones."

When his travel companion showed no sign of compliance, Peter reached over and covered Neal's phone with his hand. "As soon as we land in Seattle, we'll both check."

"Noelle texted that she and Joe would depart in half an hour. They arrive in Buenos Aires late tonight."

"By then, we may have some positive news." Despite his words, Peter didn't feel it was likely, and judging by Neal's expression, neither did he.

"Interpol's assisting Win-Win, but the police are dragging their heels," Neal said. "The earliest they can dispatch a unit to the estate will be tomorrow afternoon or more likely Tuesday."

"From what I've read, this is an extremely remote area of the country. Logistics will be difficult. The road the agents described won't accommodate large vehicles."

Neal nodded absently. While the flight steward went over safety precautions, plainly his thoughts continued to be thousands of miles away. Peter's were as well. In the hours since the news broke, updates had provided little additional information. Allen Winston, Win-Win's CEO, had been on the phone with Argentinian authorities to apply additional pressure. Henry's maternal grandfather Edmund was placing calls to his diplomatic contacts.

Neal had at first pleaded to go down to Argentina as well. If the trip to the West Coast trip hadn't been scheduled, it might have been impossible to dissuade him. The logical arguments over what Neal could possibly hope to accomplish were meaningless in the face of his concern for Henry.

Nobody was speculating about what would happen after the initial crisis was resolved. Henry's paternal grandfather Graham had called them last night. Fear for Henry and anger over him acting on his own were blended with a hint that some of Graham's outrage was because Henry hadn't invited him to go along.

When the stewardess brought their meals—a box of cornflakes and a banana—Neal didn't attempt to eat, limiting himself to orange juice and coffee. A good indicator of Neal's mood was that he didn't make any sarcastic remarks about riding in economy class or the breakfast.

"Do you think Henry acted on gut instinct when he scaled the fence?" Peter asked.

Neal made a face when he took a sip of the coffee. "Most likely. He'd never been up that mountainside and couldn't have known what they'd encounter."

"There's no proof it's Adler's estate."

"True, but Henry must have thought that its proximity to the Nazi hideout made it worth the risk. I'm positive he was convinced this was the best way for everyone. He didn't want to lead others into danger. From what the agents reported, the gate was barred. They had no proof Adler was inside. He probably thought that if he sneaked in and obtained evidence, they would then be able to conduct a raid."

"And he got caught."

Neal nodded gloomily. Neither one of them wanted to discuss what would happen to him.

"Would Adler recognize him?" Peter asked.

"I'm sure of it. Kate would have explained the events of last spring, and he would have wanted to learn more about Henry. Henry hasn't led the life of a recluse. One of Adler's agents—possibly Fowler—could have easily made a detailed dossier on him."

"You're convinced Kate is alive?"

He gazed out the window for a moment before replying. "Yeah, I am. We know the plane exploded over Argentina, but there were parachutes in the cabin. She and her father could have jumped out before the explosion."