01 | Sights

chapter 1
(tw: alcohol and drinking-)

Kurapika watched as the boy named Leorio clutched onto his bag at the front of the class, wearing his school uniform neatly tacked. "Students," The professor said, clearing their throat. "This is Leorio Paladinight. A transfer student." Leorio remained silent, as he walked to his assigned desk.

The memory of the first time Leorio arrived awoke Kurapika, whose head was on the desk. He had drifted into a small slumber, no one seemed to mind since he had already completed his work. Which was expected from someone who usually was the first to finish.

He glanced at Leorio, who sat in the middle row, one seat above him. He also had finished, and he was joking around with a few people beside him. The usual nonsense. Jokes, teasing, that sort of thing. He smiled slightly and shook his head.

A few minutes passed by and the bell rang. "Make sure to do your homework!" the teacher yelled before dismissing the students. Luckily that was the last class of the day. Kurapika swung his backpack over his shoulder and headed to his locker.

"...So you're not coming?"

Leorio shook his head, letting out another sigh. "I told you I don't drink, besides we have school tomorrow."

Kurapika couldn't help but overhear Leorio's conversation, to make it look like he was doing something else he started organizing his locker. That was the last thing he wanted to do at the moment, but he didn't want to be labeled as "nosy". Although he sort of was when it came to Leorio.

Leorio's friend sighed, "All you care about is school, come on. It'll be fun," he winked, nudging Leorio's arm. Leorio crossed his arms and stared at his friend, which's grin only grew as the male continued to giggle. "Don't tell me you plan on going out tonight?" The other male nodded.

"Seems to be the last of it..." Kurapika thought to himself, shutting the locker as he made his way out of the school. He didn't want to listen anymore. He thought their conversation would be interesting, it resulted being boring. All because of his little crush on Leorio. He figured that he would never talk to Leorio, so getting to know him through other people seemed to be like a good idea. At least to him.

Since the town was getting bigger, you could easily get access to alcohol and other things. They started building more libraries, bars, and restaurants. Troublesome kids who just wanted to have a bit of fun ran off to a commonplace. People like Kurapika.

He looked behind him, making sure no one was following him. Sure enough, no one was. Carefully he turned the doorknob which made a noise when it turned. Instantly attracting attention from the bartender and customers inside.

"What are ya here for?..." the bartender asked carefully, eyeing Kurapika. Although he recognized Kurapika he had to make sure he wasn't here to rat them out.

Kurapika crossed his arms, "Top floor," he muttered. Instantly the bartender caught on, he waved for Kurapika to follow him.

Kurapika felt the eyes of people staring at him until they went up a flight of stairs. It sort of creeped him out, the fact that the place was so protected. The second floor was specifically for teenagers like him. The room was surprisingly full, and Kurapika recognized a few people who always were there.

"The usual?" The second bartender shouted, through the music he hardly heard him. Kurapika shrugged and walked toward the counter, "Whatever you feel like making," he winked, the two shared a chuckle as the bartender prepared him a shot.