Shadows of the Past, part 7

Mairimashita! Iruma-kun: Shadows of the Past, part 7

After school, Balam faced the proverbial music and told the others everything that had transpired. Kalego was so angry, he had surpassed yelling and hit a cold calm, but his initial reaction still echoed loudly in Balam's ears. Shichiro had explained to the best of his ability and now he was waiting for his friend to at least look at him again. In the meantime, Opera watched them both keenly.

Sullivan was in a meeting. He had called upon Azazel Henri to bolster their forces. The fact that Victoria had somehow possessed a student would not go unchallenged and now they had Robin to worry about, too. While they talked in the chair demon's office, the trio of old schoolmates sat in uncomfortable silence in another room.

Kalego was speechless, highly unusual for the man who wasn't afraid to speak his mind. He rested his head in his hand, internally grumbling. How could Balam have been so reckless? He knew the answer, of course, but that didn't excuse his actions.

Opera eyed them both carefully. "I'm sure Shichiro-kun has a very good reason", they offered, trying to restore peace. Kalego looked at them in irritation. "There is never a good reason to make a deal with her", he stated darkly. Opera's cat ears laid flat in response. "You made a deal with Victoria once, yourself", they reminded. Kalego glared. Inadvertently touching the mark over his heart, his rage faltered as he looked away. "Tch." His senpai was right, though he hated to admit it.

Balam looked to his friend with soft eyes, recalling it all. "I'm sorry", he said meekly. It was sincere, but not asking forgiveness. He had no qualms about trading his freedom for Pandora's. Kalego sighed, caught in the example of his own past. 

"Has she contacted you again yet?", he asked, a little calmer. Balam shook his head. "Not yet", he replied. "Victoria may be having second thoughts", ventured Opera, thinking aloud. "Or she's trying to figure out a way to keep them both", said Kalego grimly. After a pause of collective silence, he smirked.

"You have a plan?", asked Balam, knowing that look. Kalego had a glint in his eye. "She never breaks an agreement", he began. Opera and Balam exchanged glances, knowing a demon's word was everything. Surely he wasn't suggesting they break theirs. "But she also never refuses a good deal", smirked Kalego.

"What are you scheming, Kalego-kun?", asked Opera, interested. Naberius grinned. "When we meet for the exchange, we'll offer her what she wants most", he stated. Balam's eyes grew wide. "You can't!", he panicked. Kalego grinned at him, looking him in the eye for the first time since the news of a deal. Now he knew the feeling. 

"Relax, Shichiro. I'm sure his plan gets better… It has to", ventured Opera, keenly eying his kouhai. "Hmph", huffed Kalego, "Just listen."

"When we meet up, she'll be expecting the two of us. She wants a big show of getting her claws on you", he explained, speaking directly to his friend. "We'll give her the spectacle she wants and when you start toward her side, I'll call out a 'last minute' change. I'll offer myself in exchange for the two of you." Balam stared, waiting for the twist.

"I see. Victoria will be delighted by the turn of events", said Opera, following along. "That will distract her just long enough for you to get Pandora to safety", stated Kalego, turning his attention to his senpai. Balam was impressed. "She'll never expect Opera-senpai to be there", he uttered, thinking aloud. "Exactly", smirked Kalego.

They all thought it over. "It's a good plan, but there's a lot that could go wrong", stated Opera. Kalego crossed his arms as he assured, "I'll ensure she removes Pandora's curses before I fully accept the offer." Balam didn't like the plan. It was too risky, but he wasn't in a position to argue, considering his previous actions.