Shadows of the Past, part 28

Mairimashita! Iruma-kun: Shadows of the Past, part 28

Time flew by as everyone rushed to tend to the fallen healer. Nene was tucked into her bed, sweating profusely. Persephone gently wiped her master's face with care, overcome with worry. Nearby, Opera sat close on the other side of her bed. Even they held a dark expression.

A few feet away, Sullivan, Balam, and Kalego were discussing what to do next. "If Vincente can take me to my lab, I have the broken arrow there. I can do some tests and hopefully find an antidote", offered Balam. Sullivan thought it over. It was a good plan.

They had briefly discussed the possibility that others would soon fall ill, but no one else had any obvious symptoms. Thus, Pandora kept Iruma and Vincente company in another room as they waited for an update.

After a few moments reflecting, Kalego spoke up. "I'll go with you. I want to make sure the school hasn't been compromised", he said. He wouldn't put it past Victoria to try anything at that point. Sullivan nodded in agreement.

"Stay together and watch each other's backs. It's still quite dangerous for you both out there...Kalego-kun, check in with Bars and Bachiko-chan, too. Make sure they've been properly updated", said the principal.

A few minutes later, they were preparing to leave. Vincente waited patiently as Pandora fussed over her friends.

"Promise me you'll both be extra careful. If anything at all happens, come back right away, okay?", she said. Her eyes poured forth concern, making it hard on Shichiro to leave her, but Nene's life was on the line. He couldn't back down.

After a tight hug to both Shichiro and Kalego, she anxiously stood beside Iruma. They saw their friend's off with a smile as Valiant opened a portal. Iruma could see the school gates on the other side. "Sensei", he called, "We'll be waiting." He offered his words as a reminder they weren't alone. Balam nodded and even Kalego managed a small grin in acknowledgement.
***
Moments later, the trio stepped onto the ground just outside of Babylus. Despite their differences, Kalego had to admit how useful Vincente was when it came to conserving travel time. 

A familiar face waved them down. Robin approached with a cheerful smile. "Senpai! Over here!", he called. Bachiko followed at his side. As they met up, she asked how Iruma was. Sullivan had already called her earlier about Nene. He was trusting her and Robin to guard the school in the meantime.

After a brief update, Bachiko stared up at Valiant. "Who's this idiot?", she asked flatly. Vincente grinned politely as he bowed. "Barbatos-san, I've heard of your exploits. I look forward to seeing how you will help mold Iruma-kun's future. Vincente Valiant, at your service." He kissed her hand in greeting, prompting her to blush. 

Shaking him loose, she crossed her arms haughtily. "Let's get to work", she grumbled, leading the way. Robin introduced himself as they walked, but Vincente was less interested to meet him. He was only eager to please the ladies, it seemed.

The group talked as they headed into the school. Having multiple tasks, they decided to split up. Kalego would check on Royal One with Robin while Vincente would accompany Balam to his lab. Bachiko stated she was going to Sullivan's office. A nagging feeling told her she should.

With the assignments decided, they split up. Kalego tried to keep his cool as Robin went on and on about his time watching over Babylus in his absence. Nothing of interest had been said and he was getting annoyed with his kouhai's voice. However, recalling his orders, he tried to remain outwardly neutral.

"How is your arm?", he asked, staring ahead as they walked. Robin grinned at the question. "It's healing really well. Nene-sama is a great healer… Is it true she's sick?", he replied. Kalego's expression darkened, a clear sign it was serious. "She'll be okay, won't she?", inquired Robin. He was sincerely concerned, hoping he could thank her in person soon.