Chapter 7

Disclaimer: This fanfiction is based on Eoin Colfer's "Artemis Fowl" and I own none of the characters, except for Jade Haneu. The plot is also mine.

____________

Sorry I haven't uploaded in so long!!! >.< I was paranoid (maybe I should get a tinfoil cap) about this chapter, editing it again and again, sorry about that! I'll try to be quicker with the next one... I'm terrible... Thank you sooo much to all you people who have continued to read my book, you're amazing for sticking to it! Dedicated to UsernameNotFound for being awesome and also because I love her book 'Myles Fowl' It's AMAZING! :P Just shamelessly advertising for her XD

Also, I've changed the title to 'Smart Girls Think Fast.' Tell me what you think of it! I do hope it's better than the last. I should let you read now.  Enjoy!

~Tiffu

P.S: Check out my stuff on deviantart! I'm tealeaf-tiffu, not sure how to make a slide-show, so i've got Artemis at the side, hopefully it works! :D (drawing was partly why I took so long to upload, heh.)

_________________________________________________ 

The roof creaked and a cold north wind blew through the gaping hole in the wall. All was quiet in what remained of Artemis’s study, except for the hoarse breaths of the unconscious figure in the doorway. There was a gasp, then the figure coughed, her eyes fluttered open uncertainly. She gazed around the room, then sat up quickly, instantly regretting her action as intense pounding filled her head. Minerva let out a small groan and held her head in her hands. She could hardly think straight, which was unusual for a genius like her. Her whole body was covered in a cold layer of sweat, and her clothing was stiff and cold from it. Her head throbbed painfully in her hands, she was breathing very rapidly, taking shallow breaths, shaking from the horrors she had just awoken from. “Beau…” she muttered shakily. When the pounding subsided, she examined her surroundings, noting the time of night and how many hours she had been unconscious, if not days. The gaping hole in the wall seemed to glare at her, questioning her on her conduct, how she let Butler down, he could be dead. She braced herself against the wall and slowly, painfully raised herself into a standing position, wincing at the soreness of her body. She leant against the wall, breathing heavily, eyes closed. “Holly…” she muttered, “where are you?”

Minerva had no idea whether Holly had actually come or not, her last memories were just images in her mind that she couldn’t make sense of. The last thing she remembered was the green-haired pixie… crashing a hole through the wall…Holly’s voice.  Holly had darted in just before she fell, hadn’t she? …These hallucination darts are the type that feed on your worst fears. You will scream like you never have before. You will feel the worst agony possible. And don’t even think of trying to pull it out. All of the drug administers in the first few milliseconds. Once I pull the trigger, you don’t stand a chance…

“If what Jade said is true,” Minerva thought to herself, “then I should still be unconscious at this moment. Which means…Holly must’ve come!”She picked up the discarded communicator in haste and quickly messaged Holly. All she could do now was wait, and hope that Holly’s communicator still worked. Most of all, hope that Holly had Butler safe.

The wind whistled as Minerva stared into the distance, trying to figure out her next course of action. My best course of plan would be to wait here, and wait I should, if I had any common sense tonight. But what if the others need help? Butler’s gone, Artemis is missing, Holly doesn’t seem to be present, even if she did come in response to my call. There isn’t much that I can do…

“Holly…please come. I need your help. Where are you?” Minerva whispered into the night sky. Her aches and pains pounded at her brain, and she was slowly losing consciousness. Her head drooped. “Where…are…you?”