𝐋𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐅𝐢𝐫𝐞

Chapter Sixteen —— 𝐋𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐅𝐢𝐫𝐞

If you love two people at the same time, choose the second. Because if you really loved the first one, you wouldn't have fallen for the second.
——Johnny Depp

Charlie came around the corner, still in his uniform, still armed, and tried not to make a face when he spied us sitting together on the loveseat

Lately, he'd been dropping hints that he likes Lape and how we were an attractive couple. Of course, this revelation was sure to make him happy that his efforts paid off.

"Hey, kids. What's up?" Charlie asked.

"Dad, sit down." I suggested.

"We'd like to talk to you," Lape said. "We have some good news." He added.

Charlie's expression went from friendliness to suspicion in a second.

"Good news?" Charlie squealed, looking straight at me.

"Have a seat, Dad." I said again.

He raised one eyebrow, stared at me for five seconds, then stomped to the recliner and sat down.

"Don't get worked up, Dad," I said after a moment of loaded silence. "Everything's okay." I said before sighing, remembering I said those exact words when Edward and I told him that we were getting married.

Lape grimaced, and I knew it was because he probably saw something in dad's mind.

"Sure it is, Bella, sure it is." Charlie said.

"You guys are together!" Charlie exploded. "You're divorcing Edward , aren't you?" He asked.

I nodded.

"Yes, we have made the decision to give our relationship a shot and Bella has made the decision to divorce Edward. I hope we have your approval to start a relationship, Charlie." Lape answered.

Charlie smiled.

"I've always liked you, Lape; So, yes you have my approval." Charlie said.

There was a long pause. After a moment, I realized everyone was waiting for me to say something.

"I know everyone has noticed how close Lape and I have grown. Don't worry, dad, I'm not with him to solve any childhood trauma or anything like that. I genuinely like him and I know with him I don't have to change myself for him to like me. Of course, I need to talk to Edward face to face and tell him that I want a divorce before we announce to everyone else." Bella said.

Charlie nodded.

"I think you should take Althea with you when you go see Edward." Charlie said.

I nodded.

—⚜️—

"Edward, I'm so sorry." Bella said as Althea stood slightly in between Bella and Edward just in case he decided to attack her after Bella told him about Lape and the divorce.

"We won't announce our divorce until after we settle things with the Volturi." Edward said.

"Edward." Althea said.

Edward didn't answer or comment on Althea's thoughts as he led the way back to the house.

When they walked through the door, the other Cullens' and their guests eyes were suspicious and confused.

Bella hesitated in the open doorway, not sure what to do now. It was better right there, with a little bit of breathable air blowing in from outside.

"Where is Renesmee?" Rosalie asked Bella.

"She's with Leah." Bella answered.

"You should bring her over more often." Rosalie said.

Edward walked into the middle of the huddle, shoulders stiff. Bella watched him anxiously, and then her eyes flickered to Althea for a second. Then she was watching him again.

Her face turned a grayish pale, and Althea could see what he meant about the guilt making her feel worse.

"We're going to see less Renesmee now, she enjoys being in La Push due to the beach; so, Rosalie do not make Bella feel guilty about it." Edward said. There was no inflection at all in his voice. Robotic.

"Over my pile of ashes," Rosalie hissed at him.

Edward didn't look at her. "Bella," he said in that same empty tone. "Is allowed to make whatever decisions she feels is best for her and Renesmee." He said.

Bella looked at Althea, confused. Then she looked at Rosalie.

"Rose, it's fine. I'll make sure Renesmee comes over to see you guys often." Bella said.

"Edward, is something wrong?" Esme asked.

He shook his head, smiling a little.

The smile was painful to look at.

"I'm fine. Don't worry about me." Edward answered.

Sickening.

The composure he was trying to keep up for Bella was shaky. Althea could see how close he was to losing his composure. The others saw it, too.

"Jacob take Bella home." Althea said as she grabbed Edward's arm, leading him back out of the house.

Silently, Jacob and Bella moved out the house and Jacob phased with Bella climbing onto his back and took off towards La Push.

Althea took Edward far away from the house of vampires with super hearing and glared at Edward and then slapped him.

"I needed that." Edward said.

"What the hell is wrong with you? You barely said a word when Bella told you about Lape and the divorce; just now you basically gave up custody of Renesmee. What the hell are you thinking?" Althea asked him.

Edward chuckled.

"I always thought she would leave me for Jacob but that's not the case; I'm honestly happy things turned out this way. We were not meant to be. Renesmee deserves a father that can truly be there for her like Lape." Edward explained.

"You're her father; yes, Lape can relate more to her. Get that does not mean you should give her up to him. You idiot!" Althea said as she continued to hit him.

Edward allowed Althea to continuously hit him.

Her hand dropped from his face to her bloated stomach, caressed it.

Edward smiled and quickly placed a hand over her stomach too.

"He's really active in there." He said.

She smiled.

"He will be a little chaotic boy." She said.

"He will be just like his mother." He said.

She nodded, not meeting his eyes.

"Edward, do you like me?" Althea asked him.