September 12, 2016

Dear World,

I never missed a day visiting Charlotte. She's in a coma right now. I even called the firing shop (whatever they are called), and tell that Charlotte and I are going to miss last week's session. I told them that I am in the hospital and that Charlotte is in a coma. They said that they'd heard about it because there was a charity site that is raising a fund for Charlotte's medication. They said that they will just hold off our membership until we can come back.

I thank them and went to Charlotte's ward. It's the seventh day and she's still sleeping. I come to her and talk to her because I believe that she can hear me. I want her to wake up.

Not far from Charlotte's room, I saw her parents just outside the door. They must be discussing something important or about Charlotte's bills that I plan to just pass through so I won't disturb them. It seems that it wasn't a good idea because I overheard them talking about turning the machine off. The one that has been supporting Charlotte.

I froze on my track. They're her parents how could they discuss killing their own child, their only child? What kind of parents are they?

Then Charlotte's dad's eyes darted to me. He gestured to his wife that I'm near. When her mother turn to me, I saw her eyes. It's puffy and I can tell that the decision pained her more than anyone. I kind of regret that I question them as a parent. They no longer want Charlotte to suffer more. As much as it pained me to admit, I understand.

"Come here, Sandra." Charlotte's mom beckoned me to come to her. "I'm sorry." she apologized.

"Mrs. Atkins, I may not understand it fully but I am not questioning it. I'm going inside now."

I didn't wait for them to respond, I know that they won't respond anyway or maybe I just didn't want to listen. I spent the rest of the afternoon with Charlotte. It feels like the time went so fast. I just want to freeze it because I know that when her parents will come inside, it will be done.

I don't want to freeze the time as well because that would mean that she won't wake up as well. I turn my phone off like I always do because it interferes with the hospital machine and I don't want it to affect Charlotte negatively.

My wristwatch shows a five-thirty pm time, that's the time that her parents came inside the room. I know I have to say my last goodbye but I realize that I'm not ready to let go of her. I just can't. I know I'm being selfish but I don't want Charlotte to go.

"Charlotte, if you wake up. I promise that we will graduate together in high school. We will walk on that stupid stage and we will show them that we made it." before I would break down completely, I walk out of the room.

I was half running down the hallway. I was so eager to reach the exit and when I got out I run. I was looking on my way and just bolted. But I felt like someone hugged me, making me stop running. I look up and found out that it was my dad. He kisses me on the forehead and he leads me to the car. I saw mom and Maddie in the backseat.

I went inside and they hugged me tightly. Dad didn't hop on to the driver's seat right away her hugged me as well before he went to drive.

"I'm still here, sis. I'm your friend right?" I heard my sister say. I held her hand and didn't say anything.

"Let's go to the Burger King drive-thru, Hon." I heard my mom say to dad. Burger King was one of my favorite fast food, but I still don't feel like talking.

I heard my mom ordering a cheeseburger and a Hershey's sundae pie, my favorite, but still, I wasn't saying anything. They had their take out and we drive home.

"Charlotte's mom called us and told us everything. We came to cheer you up. We're here for you, darling." I heard my mom say.

I just look at her, tears about to come out of my eyelids. Mom didn't say any more words, she just hugged me throughout the journey home. And at that moment, I knew that I will be okay.

When we arrive home, dad and Maddie set the backyard table up. The weather was okay a bit chilly but okay to have a meal out. They took out the meals that they order. In just a few minutes the table was ready.

My mom lead the prayer for the food and I listened to every word that she uttered she prayed for Charlotte's soul, my well-being, and as well as her parents' well-being. I realize that it's not just me who lost someone, it must've hurt more to Charlotte's parents. They also lost their only child.

I felt better when mom ended her prayer and I was able to eat the food that they bought for me. We had a neutral mood at dinner. We were able to talk about some stuff and I said my gratitude to them for being there with me throughout the drama. I always knew how lucky I am to be in the family I am with now.

Always,

Sandra