5 - November 1988 -

- November 1988 -

Tony frowned at Anna when he entered the living room of her apartment. It was her day off, and he was planning to go out and maybe walk in the park. The doctor always said Anna should keep herself active and healthy, and some sun would be good for her.

"What are you doing?" he questioned.

"Watching Mister Rogers' Neighbourhood," she said like it was obvious. "What does it look like?"

Tony rolled his eyes, glancing at the TV.

"Ain't that the King Something? From... Pretend land?"

"King Friday from Make Believe, dumbass," Anna threw the popcorn she had on her lap on him.

He chuckled, taking off his shoes and socks.

"You are watching the kids' show and I'm the dumbass? How old are you? Five?" he sat on the couch. "I can't even remember last time I watched this show.

"I always watch it!" she exclaimed, excited. "When I was a kid, the people from the orphanage always turned it on when it started, none of us kids ever lost a single episode."

He lost his smile for a moment. It was easy to forget Anna had such a past.

"I want the baby to watch it," she affirmed. "Every day. Just as I did."

He reached out for a moment and looked up at her to make sure Anna was fine with him touching her stomach.

"Any kicks today?"

As if to respond, Tony's felt the pressure against his hands and opened a smile.

"Does that answer your question?" she arched her eyebrow.

The baby loved Tony. Two words from him and Anna would be kicked and punched all around from inside. It was uncomfortable, to say the least, but it was adorable to see how her friend reacted to it. The little bean, a kind nickname he'd given their kid since their first ultrasound, loved him unconditionality even though they'd never even seen him yet. It was amazing.

"Are you ready?" he asked, looking up to realise the show was over.

"Yeah," she pulled her coat from behind her on the couch. "Let's go."

Today was the day. They were going to find out if the baby was a girl or a boy. Tony was betting on a boy, but Anna knew there was a girl in her belly.

There was a rush inside the two of them as soon as they entered the doctor's office, and when her stomach was covered in gel, Anna's eyes were glued to Tony's.

"Girl," she whispered.

"Boy!"

"Girl!"

"Boy!"

The doctor glanced at the two of them, but none of the two was looking to check if she was judging them or whatever. They were too concentrated on holding each other's eyes for the longest time.

The first to blink loses, was the implied bet, as if somehow that would decide the baby's sex.

Two kids having a kid, that's what they were.

"Have you chosen a name yet?" she changed the subject, and Tony hesitated a bit before looking at her.

Doctor Ramsay was the same doctor who'd taken care of Maria when she was pregnant with Tony, less than two decades prior. She was conservative but sweet, and his mother has made sure that she was the one to help the two of them through the journey.

"Edward for the boy," he said excitedly. "And Y/N for a girl."

The doctor nodded.

"Those are very good names."

"My mother suggested Edward," Tony said proudly. "I personally think it is a boy, so..."

"You do?" the woman pressed some buttons.

"Yeah," he smiled. "Everyone is saying she is carrying like the baby is a boy."

Anna shook her head.

"I think it's a girl," she argued, squeezing the hand Tony had around hers. "I'm good with guesses, I trust my gut feelings."

"And they are telling you're having a girl," Ramsay turned to them.

"Exactly."

More buttons and the image of a baby formed in the screen, quickly being frozen, and the doctor marked some points with an arrow.

"Well?" he looked at her, filled with expectation.

"Congratulations," she smiled. "You're having a girl."