7 - 31st of December 1988 -

- 31st of December 1988 -

"Okay, give daddy a kick," Tony whispered to Anna's stomach, kissing her skin at the same time a foot was pressed against his lips. "I love you."

The foot didn't move away until he did, and Anna caressed her side in pain.

"I don't know how you do it," she chuckled. "It's almost like she understands you."

He smirked.

"It's because she does," he shrugged. "Y/N is very smart, don't act like you don't know that."

Anna chuckled.

"Oh, I know," she affirmed. "Y/N is the smartest. There's no doubt."

He smiled and stood up.

"Alright, I really gotta go now," Tony took a breath. "I wish you could come."

"And hide in whatever room you put me in?" she arched her eyebrow. "No, thank you. And I have to go to work. No all of us have money to spare."'

He shook his head.

"I've already told you, I can pay for your education," he argued. "You don't have to work!"

"And I've already told you to stick that in your ass," she pushed herself up from the couch. "Now go, you're gonna get late and your father will be annoying you for the whole night."

Howard and Maria were hosting a New Year's Party, and while Tony had managed to negotiate the Christmas celebration to be with Anna, this was an occasion he couldn't skip.

"I'm gonna call you when I get there," he promised. "Don't forget to wear your bracelet."

She pulled her sleeve up in response. Tony had given her two Christmas presents a week earlier: A necklace and a bracelet, both of them simple enough that she wouldn't get robbed if she left home with them, and the inside of the bracelet had Tony's number and the information her health insurance – which he was paying for – in the case of anything happened to her or the baby while they were alone.

At the start, she thought it was stupid, pure paranoia. After his insistence, however, she gave up. He was just worried about the two of them, and if that would calm him down, she could do it.

They hugged and Tony lied a kiss on her cheek, leaning down and kissing her stomach once again.

"Daddy will be back in two days. Don't do anything new before I'm here to feel, alright?"

Anna shook her head and waved goodbye while he left the small apartment.

Tony honestly felt as if his heart had been left behind the moment he left Anna. He didn't know if it was because of the baby and all the time they were spending together because of her, but he was genuinely feeling something different for her, something that was far from just friendly.

His mother had asked not long ago if he'd ever thought about dating her and, while he said he thought had never passed his head then, it just couldn't leave his mind now.

"Fucking shit," he whispered under his breath.

He had fallen in love with her.