Prologue

The end of the world commenced on a Monday.

A sucking Monday.

It couldn't have waited on any other day. When adults were cranky because it was a start to hell, listening to their bosses ramble about files and everlasting and boring meetings and students sauntered obstinately towards school buildings like robots crossing the thresholds of fire, the end of the world emerged.

It was already bad enough that everyone loathed Monday with a passion, but a deadly attack on this day was like twisting a knife in an open wound.

"Did you hear?" May said taking out her English notebook. She was always first to hear news.

"What?" June asked not out of curiosity, heck she wasn't even interested in what May was about to say, because it would probably be useless to her as she might not even know the people involved but she thought as a friend you need to act as if you were dying for this information.

May and June have been friends since forever and they didn't even know how their friendship started.

They thought it was unique that they were named after their birth months. May was goofy, funny, June on the other hand was the more sober one.

June half expected her to say something like Axil Mason, the hottest boy in the form was dating Lexi. This was her kind of info.

They were a "good match" anyway.

But this was what she heard, "Rumours are going around that a deadly attack is on the run, and it makes people different" she said worriedly, creases forming on her forehead.

She might be goofy most times but she was very afraid.

"Those are just rumours, it's nothing real, I heard that too when I was coming to school this morning, it isn't true."

"I sure hope it isn't."

May sighed. All through the weekend the latest news that has been going around was that there was a certain deadly attack that caused people to behave abnormally.

Abnormally in the sense they could tear you apart, they became vicious animals with no sense.

They didn't know what the cause was yet, but according to rumours, symptoms were pale skin, extreme rashes and a bad irritating cough every second.

The news was spreading like wildfire in the large town of Valley Side.

Some people took it too seriously and stayed home allowing their kids to also skip school.

"I don't think it's anything alarming." June said confident in her answer.

Afterall the news station haven't said a word about it yet and as far June knew, news not broadcasted is fake news.

She took out her book and concentrated on what the teacher was saying in front of her, trying her best to push that thought away from her head for the rest of the day.

***
Alas, the day was almost over! The dreadful day.

June could no longer keep still, she dazed off the class thinking of how she was going spend their three day midterm break.

It puzzled her why the school administration would allow them to start the week only to cut it off again. Why didn't they just start the mid term break from Monday to Wednesday? She thought. Anyway, that wasn't her problem so long for the first time in the history of Valley Side Academy, there was a mid term break.

Usually, after mid term tests, they just continued normal schooling being identified by neighboring schools and even schools afar as the only school to not have mid term breaks. June was excited to be a part of history making.