Chapter 6

After interviewing several of the men that were in the courthouse the night before, Sam figured it was definitely a poltergeist that they were dealing with, hence the scratching in the walls, the flickering lights, and people claiming an invisible being was the cause of the word being carved into the wall.

Andrew, who owned the bookstore and had also been at the courthouse, brought out any books he had on the history of the town. Sam thanked him, before making himself comfortable against the back wall, out of the way of the handful of customers in the tiny shop. He set out the records, building permits, and blueprints for the courthouse and all the buildings near and around it, and flipped through the recorded deaths in Stars Hollow since the town was founded in 1779. It had taken a lot of convincing for the hospital and courthouse to hand over anything, the townspeople not being overly excited about feds snooping through their business. Small towns were typically like that, no matter how friendly they were. Sam understood that.

Dean had called about an hour ago, telling him there was definitely EMF at the courthouse, though he hadn't found any clues to who the poltergeist was or why it was there. When he had ended the call, he'd said he was headed to get them a room, and that he'd meet Sam in a little while. Dean had sounded irritated, having checked in on Bobby as well, who was "still looking into it", which basically meant he hadn't found jack squat.

Research was one of Sam's favorite parts of the job, however. It made the monsters feel less daunting, even if it was only a little. It gave him some semblance of an upperhand. If he was able to learn everything there was to know about a creature, then they could stop it. It made him feel not quite so powerless. It was why he had always been drawn to school.

By the time he reached the end of the list, nothing strange had jumped out at him. An elderly man had a heart attack in one of the courtrooms in 1976, but that wasn't out of the ordinary. It just didn't make sense. Nothing matched up with the woman he'd seen in his vision. He sighed, rubbing at his face as he opened up one of the history books Andrew had given him.