Chapter 3

Rory listened to her mom gab about a movie marathon idea she had as they left Luke's with large to-go cups of coffee and a bag of freshly baked muffins. They had gotten up early in order to arrive at the estate sale before all the good stuff was gone. Rory was hoping to get a head start on Christmas presents for the friends she'd made on the campaign trail since it wasn't easy to sneak away from them very often without them wanting to tag along. They were a tight-knit group, she had realized pretty early on.

"So, I'm thinking since I have you for a week, we have to get a jump start on Christmas movies. Who knows how good your boss's taste will be. Which means we have to watch the must-sees before you are under their control again and your movie watching choices are severely limited."

Rory had told her mom about how her boss played movies on the bus rides, but she hadn't thought to bring more than a few options. "Pamala's picks haven't been so bad. We did watch Gremlins on Halloween, though I guess you could argue it's a Christmas movie. But, mostly we watch Groundhog's Day. I'm not sure if she's trying to make a point that our lives are like a constant cycle of similar days on the road much like Phil's circular story, or if she's just obsessed with that particular movie."

"And as great a movie as Groundhog's Day is, that is why, my young and impressionable daughter, I must save you while I can."

Rory smiled, sipping her coffee. She had missed her mom. They had talked as often as they could on the phone and sent the occasional e-mail, but there was just something about actually being together that made all the difference. It was days like these that made Rory want to freeze time so she could remain here forever, among her mom and her home and her childhood memories. Being an adult was exhausting and difficult, much more than high school or college which she'd wished she'd known at the time. "So, what were you thinking?"

"As of right now, I have It's a Wonderful Life because it's a must," Lorelai said, digging her hand into the muffin bag. 

"Naturally."

"Then, Miracle on 34th Street. The original."

"Obviously." Rory took a bite of her cinnamon muffin, wiping the crumbs off her mouth with her coat sleeve.

"Then, I was thinking, The Preacher's Wife to kinda go along with our magic/angel theme. After that, White Christmas and then end with Home Alone or While You Were Sleeping. Whichever we are in the mood for by that point. Slapstick comedy, or Sandra Bullock in love with Peter Gallagher in a coma."

"Well, I do enjoy some good fashioned slapstick humor," Rory said.

She noticed Lane sauntering down the steps from Luke's. He must have relented in allowing Lane a break to join them at the estate sale across the street. Leave it to Lorelai's powers of persuasion. There hadn't been many people in the diner anyway, most of the town wanting to check out the sale. Besides, it wasn't like Lane was going very far.

"Sorry. Luke made me buss all the tables before I was allowed to leave," Lane said, pulling her coat on and messily wrapping her baby blue, wool, scarf around her neck.

"No worries, hun," Lorelai said, offering Lane the bag of muffins.

"We were just discussing what movies to watch while I'm here," Rory said, crumpling her muffin tin and tossing it in the trash can at the edge of the sidewalk.

"Let me guess. The usuals?" Lane asked, taking a large bite of a lemon poppy seed muffin. Lorelai winked and bumped her hip against Rory's. "Lorelai, what did you say to Luke to let me come?"