Chapter 78: Quietly Resisting

Those three didn't try anything nearly as serious as attempting to steal the sword of Gryffindor after that. Most of the former members of the DA did try to make as many sly comments as possible towards the Carrows and I though. They also had a habit of not participating in various class activities.

I was patrolling the hallways one day after classes when I heard screams coming from the other end of the castle. They were Neville's screams. I rushed to the other side of the castle to come across Amycus performing the Cruciatus curse on Neville in his office with Alecto grinning wickedly at the sight of Neville in agony. Her eyes glued to him convulsing on the floor with nothing but pure pleasure.

I stormed into the room despite my silent vow to make my true loyalties unknown. I couldn't let Neville suffer like this, considering this was how his parents lost their minds. Alecto stepped between me and Amycus with her wand raised. Amycus continued torturing Neville behind her.

"What is the meaning of this, I could hear his screams from the other end of the castle?" I demanded, making sure that my voice was steady and strong.

"He refused to practice the Cruciatus Curse in class, so my brother was just catching him up on what he missed." Alecto cackled.

"You will stop immediately, students cannot learn if they've gone insane."

"He disobeyed in my class, Astrid." Amycus said without breaking the spell. "Therefore I can punish him anyway I choose." He then gave the spell a bit more power causing Neville to convulse even more violently.

I fought back tears since the Carrows could not know I cared. Once I shook the tears from my eyes I grabbed Alecto and pressed her back close against me. I placed my dagger at her neck. "I said stop."

Amycus broke the spell upon seeing his sister in mortal danger. Not only was my dagger threatening to spill her blood all over the floor, but my fangs were itching to drain a human dry, and her pretty little neck was oh so close and ripe for the taking.

"Let my sister go, you demon!" He shouted and turned his wand on me. Neville stopped convulsing and was panting on the ground now.

"Now unless you want to take out your sister in the process of killing me I suggest you put away your wand, Amycus." I pressed the dagger closer to Alecto's throat causing a gasp to escape her mouth.

Once he did as I told I released Alecto. She ran over to her brother who enveloped her with a hug. A twinge of jealousy poked at my heart at the sight of a sister and brother reunited. I should have that with my own brother but he has been dead for two centuries. Killed by none other than a Greyback werewolf. I buried the jealousy when my gaze fell on Neville again who had not quite recuperated from the Cruciatus curse.

"Was that so hard?" I sheathed my dagger and stepped forward. Amycus placed himself between Alecto and I defensively. "I will handle the rest of Neville's punishment. I could use some help setting up for my advanced class anyway." Amycus was taller than me but I did not back down when he stepped close enough to me that he was gazing down on me.

"He disobeyed in my class. As a deputy headmaster I have a right to punish him as I please. What gives you the right to stop me?"

"Because I have more power than you," I snickered.

"No you don't. You have the same authority as Alecto and I, so unless this order came directly from the Headmaster, Neville will finish out his punishment with me." The smile Amycus gave sent shivers down my spine. The joy he received from torturing Neville sickened me, but only because it was the same joy I felt when I tortured my own victims.