CHAPTER 1

Chapter 1

It was Sunday morning when my parents asked me if I could go with them to a museum because a new exhibit was sponsored by them. Mom told me that there are a lot of boys that I will see there and of course, as usual, she wanted me to hang out with them but I didn't agree with that one because my time was too precious to be dedicated to hang-outs and especially, to boys. I can't stand being with men so I'd rather stay in bed and read some books.

"Beatrice, what are you wearing?!" said Mom, almost a yell.

I gazed at her with confusion. "Uh, t-shirt and pants?"

She arched her eyebrows. "Young lady, do you even know that you look horrible with that outfit?!" she bluntly said, and again, it was a yell.

"Seriously, Mom? This is my normal outfit—"

"That's the point! That's your normal look! Can't you dress elegantly or even wear a fancy dress that is far from those trashy clothes?!" she exaggeratedly snarled.

I sighed and massaged my temple. I can't believe that we are fighting over my goddamn clothes.

She grabbed the bag she bought from a famous clothing store and stood in front of me with her folded arms. "I want to see you changed when you go to the car, Bea. Our family is well-known and I do not want you to be rumored about just because you dress like that."

"Yeah, yeah. I'm not going to argue with you anymore." I secretly rolled my eyes out of annoyance and went upstairs to embellish myself with much more agreeable attire.

We gathered in the garage of our mansion and my mom looked cheery when she saw what I was wearing. "That dress looks perfect on you, Bea! I want to wear that kind of dress but your dad might fall for me again if he saw me wearing one." I didn't know whom she really complimented; me or herself.

Before we go, mother chattered many things and she even told me a briefing: I must act like a woman and avoid doing unladylike kinds of stuff, and just like what I always do, I complied.

While we were heading to the museum, my father spoke about his colleagues but I didn't pay much attention because I was listening to music while my earphones were plugged into my ears. I started tapping my feet while slightly bopping my head, I was feeling the ambiance of the song.

Mom, who was sitting beside me, pinched my leg making me flinched, and looked at her with disbelief. "What? I am sitting quietly here, Mom! Why did you do that?"

"Did you hear everything your father explained to you?"

I gave her silence and bowed my head while my lips were pouted.

"You are being a brat, Beatrice. You are twenty years old now but you are still acting like a kid who does not want to act decently," she uttered in an authoritative tone.

"But you are dictating me, Mom! As you said, I'm twenty years old but it's you who's still telling me what to do. Why can't you trust me? I know how to manage myself properly, Mom," I exclaimed.

I did not receive any answer from her because she suddenly stayed silent and looked away. I feel guilty.

As we arrived at the museum, I immediately got off the car. I saw Dad whispered something into Mom's ears but I just ignored it and waited for them to come near me. Dad was the first one who approached me, he tapped my shoulders and kissed the side of my head before saying, "Don't worry, your mom is not mad at you. Maybe she was just offended by the way you acted earlier," Dad addressed with assurance.