First steps in school

"Everything will be fine, Nate." My mother smiled down at me as she adjusted the straps of my backpack.

As I stared behind her at the big school, I felt a twinge in the stomach. My eyes watered, but I tried to hide it from mother. I did not want her to know that I was terrified. I knew that she was worried herself, she will probably drag me back home if she notices my tears.

Once she was done, she looked at me in the eyes, as if she were trying to find an excuse to homeschool me.

I smiled and tried to reassure her, "I'm a big boy, mom."

She grabbed me in her arms and gave me a quick kiss on my forehead as she whispered that she loves me. I blushed thinking that someone could have noticed that kiss.

"I will pick you up at 5 from the day care services. If you do not know where to go, ask for a teacher. They will guide you." I nodded, even though I had no idea what a teacher is or who is teacher.

I started walking towards the big brown doors that my mother pointed at. She said it was there that I had to enter the school. A few kids were walking in the same direction, so I decided to follow the crowd. Once inside, it was obvious that the school is much bigger from the inside than out.  I froze in place, not knowing where to go next. There were doors all over the hallway. Older kids were gathering, hugging, and laughing together. They seemed to know this school already. Why didn't I know too? Should I find a teacher now? Is teacher a person? Where do I go?

I stood in place as tears finally decided to drop down on my cheeks. I started to shiver as I cried. Where was my mother? My mother left me alone. I feel lost. Looking around, I tried to find teacher. Who is teacher?

Looking around the crowd my eyes stopped on a little girl about my age. She was in a corner crying too, but there was an older woman with her. I decided to go with them. The older woman looked friendly, and I wanted her to call my mommy. I wanted to go home. When I got next to her, I cried openly. She immediately took us both in her arms for comfort.

"Now, now," she said, "you both are starting kindergarten, aren't you?" I nodded in her arms as my tears began to dry. Mother explained to me that kindergarten was my level, but it meant nothing to me. "I'm Mrs Kelso," she continued. "I'm a kindergarten teacher."

A teacher.

"You're teacher?" I hiccupped.

She smiled down at me as her eyes sparkled. I liked teacher.

"I am a teacher. Being a teacher is my job. You know what a job is?" she asked us. The little girl and I nodded. "What are your names?" she asked us.

The little girl answered first. "Amy," she told Mrs Kelso.

Mrs Kelso looked in my direction. I whispered, "Nathan."

"I am so please to meet you both," she told us. "There are many friends like you today who are starting kindergarten with us and are very worried, just like you two were. Will you both come with me to help me find them?" We nodded in agreement. She took our hands and walked us around the hallway, in search of our fellow classmates.

When mother picked me up after school that day, I told her about Mrs Kelso. I explained animatedly to my mother all the new things I have discovered; a gym, a classroom, what are teachers. I told mother how many new friends I made and the games we played. That evening I went to bed with a smile on my face, already impatient to go back to school the next day.

Kindergarten was wonderful.