one.

Present Day

"Reports of a situation downtown," the news anchor said on the TV, "let's check with a picture from News Chopper 5. It seems evil has struck our morning commute. Here's a hint. If you're traveling eastbound on the 115, you might want to think about taking alternate routes."

The screen displayed a giant robot in the middle of the city. It had a big, mechanical eye and a pair of claws. So far, it was only roaming the town, not causing much damage, just a lot of commotion.

"Hang on. This just in," the reporter continued, "the Commander and Jetstream are on their way."

A woman flew in carrying a man by his armpits. He launched towards the robot, striking it spot on, making it fall with a loud thud. It was rather anti-climatic if Astrid said so herself. Almost too easy.

"Great. They already messed up with my morning," grumbled a male voice from behind.

The grey-eyed girl turned to her friend and flashed him her bright smile before turning off the TV when it showed the Commander plucking out the eye of the robot to keep it as a souvenir. Despite having never been at his home, she was pretty sure he had some trophy room somewhere where he displayed all of that stuff, so he could spend hours admiring it.

As if he needed any more boost to his already inflated ego.

"Lucky for you, I'm here to make it better," she grinned, going up to him and planting a kiss on his lips, which he passionately returned before she pulled away. "But we have to get going. Unless you want to miss the bus and have me take us to school instead."

The teenage boy pursed his lips in distaste. After his first experience of being carried to the airborne construction, he decided that it'd also be the last. He remembered almost slipping to his death, having trouble breathing, and almost throwing up.

It was definitely a "once in a lifetime" type of experience.

"Who needs breakfast? Let's go," he grabbed his bag, the lunch his mom prepared, and pulled Astrid out of the door, making her chuckle at his eagerness to avoid having to fly to Sky High.

"By the way, your mother told me to tell you to behave today and stay away from trouble," she informed, dutifully, as they walked side by side to the bus stop.

"She knows I don't get in trouble as long as everyone keeps their distance from us," he scoffed.

"Yeah," Astrid nodded in agreement, "but she also knows that a certain Stronghold is starting his freshman year today, which is also why she told me to control my temper even though I'm pretty much chill most of the time. Pun intended."

He shook his head exasperatedly.

"I can't promise anything. And neither can you. The forecast said it'd be sunny today." He looked up at the sky pointedly and frowned at the grey clouds gathering over Maxville.

Astrid grimaced and gave him a sheepish smile. "Sorry."

The rainy clouds dissipated, displaying the clear, blue sky.

"I know you're worried," he grabbed her hand, "but no matter what happens, I'll be here to support you, 'kay? You have Dwayne, who's a super cool uncle. And, of course, my mom keeps embarrassing me by trying to make you call her 'mom' too. But, most of all, you have me, and I'm pretty awesome," he smirked.

Astrid rolled her eyes. "Who would've thought that Warren Peace could be so corny," she teased him with a smile, which made him roll his eyes in return. "But, yeah, you three are the best. Good thing I had enough guts to approach you during lunch on our first day. God knows, and so does everyone at Sky High, how difficult it is to get past the dirty looks you give anyone who gets five feet from you."