Chapter Nineteen - Dark Humour

Victoria steps out of the house and climbs into the back of Aaron's car, who had been waiting for nearly fifteen minutes outside.  He turns around and looks at Victoria who has sat herself in the seat behind the front passenger seat. The two exchange no words, just a small nod. Not that either of them are on bad terms, just that there are no words to be said or found. Shortly after Jason comes out as well, he turns shuts the door, locks it and then gets in the front next to Aaron. Just the same as Victoria and Aaron did, the two boys share a small nod. Then Aaron starts the engine and pulls away from the curb. The atmosphere in the car is tense but not in an aggressive way, just a stunned way, nobody knows what to say. The song on the radio, Alone no more by Phillip George and Anton Powers, plays a totally different tune to the of the atmosphere, an upbeat house song doesn't suit the mood at all. After a while of driving Aaron finally breaks the silence.

"Millie's gone. Who next?" He says, almost half serious half joking.

"Not funny Aaron!" Victoria snaps.

Silence falls upon the car once more as the journey continues.

They pull into the hospital and find a parking space.

"You two stay here, I'll go and get her." Aaron says, taking the key from the ignition and getting out.

He shuts the door and walks down the steps from the car park leading to the hospital. Victoria and Jason sit in silence, Jason reaches behind him and Victoria takes his hand. He strokes her hand gently as they wait.