32

Mac pov.

Today was the day. I'd held Stone away from the truth for long enough and today I would finally tell him. His mother is still alive and she's come home to us. I'd planned this conversation out in my head and replayed it several times to ensure that I say the right thing.

I'd called Jack and told him to have Skye here around 3 in the afternoon but to wait outside in the car until we came out. I needed to have time to prepare Stone for this. And if he reacted badly then I didn't want Skye around to see it.

"Hey bud," I said to my son as I entered the living room. He sat on the floor at the coffee table and fiddled with some toys while the tv played in front of him. It was National Geographic and while I knew he was listening to it and absorbing all the knowledge he could from it, he never raised his eyes to the television.

"Hey dad," he smiled up at me. I took a seat behind him on the couch. He pushed himself up from the ground and sat down next to me with a smile on his face. Wires and gears scattered the table. All he had built was the middle of the body but I could see the robot coming along quite nicely.

"Mind if we talk for a second," I said to him.

"Sure," he shrugged, setting his toy down in front of him and focusing back on me.

My palms began to sweat and I felt my heart rate pick up. I'd held this in for so long that I just knew he'd hate me for it. How could I possibly tell my son that his mother is still alive. I'd practiced the words but now they'd all escaped me. But before I knew it my mouth was opening and words were flowing out.

"It's about mom," I breathed out.

"Dad," Stone sighed, "it's ok. I'm ok. We don't have to keep talking about her. I know it's hard for you."

"I think it's important that we talk about her," I said trying to get to the point but I couldn't find my way there yet.

"We don't have to pretend like she never existed," Stone smiled softly, "we can take her with us everyday. But it's ok if we don't talk about her all the time."

"Please Stone," I huffed out in a harsher tone than I meant to, "just let me say this."

"All I'm saying is-," Stone didn't get to finish his statement before I was cutting him off.

"You're mother's alive."

Stone stared back at me with no expression. I didn't know what else to say. He didn't speak a word either. He just looked at me blankly. Then our attention turned to the door as it opened and I knew from that moment on, nothing would be the same.

Skye pov.

I paced in the driveway outside of my home. I fidgeted with the tail of my shirt and my nails to try and calm my nerves but it didn't work.

"I don't know if I can do this, Jack," I said in between shaky breathes.

"It's gonna be fine, Princess," he responded giving me a gentle smile.

A million thoughts raced through my mind but it quickly stopped on one and it came out of my mouth before I could comprehend it.

"What if he hates me?" I asked coming to an abrupt halt.

"What?" Jack shot back with ruffled eyebrows as if he couldn't believe what I just asked.

"What if he hates me?" I repeated, "What if he doesn't understand why I was away for so long. He's only eight years old."

"He's nine," Jack said in a matter of fact tone. My eyes widened and I felt as if I'd just been hit in the gut and the breath had been knocked from my lungs.