- chapter 3 -

(unedited)

The Day of the Rite of Descension

Oh crap, I lost Childe, ohnohe'sgonnakillme-

Lost in your thoughts, you slammed straight into someone, their blonde hair flying into your face. Behind the catastrophe, a small voice could be heard.

"Lumine! Come on, get up, we're gonna be late!"

You blinked. Huh...?

A little floating child with white hair was twirling around, with a sign that said "Emergency food" taped to her back. She stomped her foot on the nonexistent ground of which she was standing. The girl stood up, groaning. You stretched out a hand to help her up, and she nodded gratefully.

"Thank you. My name is Lumine, and you are?"

"Oh hello Lumine! My name is Y/n! I'm here to see the Rite of Descension." She nodded.

"Paimon's pleased to meet you y/n!" Exclaimed the floating child.

"Oh, that's Paimon- emergency food, if you will," Lumine snickered.

"I'm going to the Rite too! Would you like to come with me?" She asked.

You hesitated for only a second.

Dear Morax, please don't let that carrothead kill me thank you very very much.

"Sure!"

The two of you turned and headed toward the place of the Rite of Descension. You arrive right before the rite starts, only to watch Rex Lapis plummet toward the ground. Chaos ensued. Screaming, yelling, people running around, you stood at the heart of it, shock written across your face. Ningguang knelt to inspect the Exuvia, and then turned, flinging her hand at the Millelith.

"Seal the gates! Rex Lapis has been assassinated!" Beside you, Paimon, the little "emergency food", let out a very loud, very audible gulp.

"Quickly! Lumine and Y/n! We have to go!" The two (and a half) of you snuck away quietly, Lumine secretly marvelling at how silent your footsteps were. You could've easily teleported away, but you decided to stay by the girl, unwilling to show your Adeptal power yet.

"There! The assassins!" You whipped your head around, spotting the Millelith gaining on you. Grabbing Lumine's hand, you dragged her down, turning to face the Millelith and pulling out your catalyst.

Apparently there was no need. With a whispered "Hey girlies, hold still!", an orange haired...carrot? dashed in front of you two, shooting the Millelith down.

Oh wait, it was Childe. Phew. You visibly relaxed, Lumine shooting you an odd look. The carrothead in question glanced at the two of you, slightly tilting his head.

"Y/n and friend, follow me." Without a better option, you let him take your hand and lead you away, Lumine following with a questioning and surprised/interested look.

**********

You two met him at the Northland Bank. You saw Lumine glancing at him with a sort of halfway suspicious, halfway in awe of his visage. (look we all thought this about Childe it's time to be real) You had to admit, he was rather pretty, but you didn't pay much thought to it.

Childe walked into the room, flipping a single mora in his hand.

"So what exactly were you two doing, trying to sneak away like that?"

To be completely honest, you had no idea. you just led Lumine and Paimon somewhere else out of instinct. If you were willing enough, you would've just teleported them someplace else with your adeptal powers. Speaking of which, did any of the other adepti know what had happened? You don't think any of them besides you and Ganyu came to the rite. Your thoughts spiraled, and then you remembered Xiao.