Eight~Phone Calls

Mia spat the toothpaste into the sink and looked at herself in the mirror. She didn't have a single bit of acne on her skin. She had a few freckles on both cheeks. As she stared at her reflection, a tear trickled down her cheek. First one, followed by another. Before she knew it, she'd cried a puddle. All she could think about was Kurt. She didn't want to lose him. She couldn't lose him. He was one of her favourite people in the world and she loved him with all her heart. She wouldn't be able to cope if he died.

When she'd finally managed to compose herself, she opened her bedroom door and got into bed. Her phone vibrated on her bedside table. She turned it over and saw the caller ID. She picked up.
"Hello?" her voice shook.
"Hey Mia," the voice said through the phone.
"Liam," Mia breathed. She felt really bad for running out on him earlier.
"Hey. I just wanted to check in on you. What's going on?" he asked, concerned.
Mia considered telling Liam about Kurt's cancer. She couldn't, could she? She'd known Liam for one day. Then again, she trusted Liam. He made her feel special. No one made her feel the way he did.
"Liam," she began. She took a deep breath before she finished her sentence. "My dad, Kurt, has... Cancer." The second the word 'cancer' fell out her mouth, she burst into tears. She couldn't help it. She was only fifteen. Today was supposed to be one of the happiest days of her life. Her first day of high school. She'd got a top locker, a decent timetable, seen Rachel, auditioned for glee club and met Liam Johnson. She was supposed to come home, sit in the living room with her parents while they all cuddled up by the fire. She was supposed to bore them to death about everything that had happened during her day. She wasn't supposed to be told that her dad had cancer.
"Mia. I'm so sorry. I know how you feel," Liam tried.
"What do you mean?" She said in and out of breaths.
"My mum. She got cancer when I was 7. She fought for about 3 years." he stopped.
"And what happened?" she asked.
"She... Urm... She died," he said quietly.
"I'm really sorry Liam," she whispered.
"It's okay. Look, it's late so I should probably go. But I want you to know, I'm here for you. If you need anything, you know where to find me!" She could feel he was smiling on the other side of the phone.
"Okay. Thank you so much Liam. Good night," she said.
"Good night," he replied. Mia was the one who hung up. She took a big sigh, lay her head down on her pillow and went to sleep.