chapter 2: operation crack-the-shell

author note:
take a shot every time kaede and/or kaito say the f slur. (i am gay i can reclaim this slur) i also want to say i dont headcanon neither kaede nor kaito as homophobic! this is pregame, remember. this is all in good fun. i do in fact see both of them as a raging lesbian and a raging gay.
word count (not including author note: 3048 words)

"fighting?" maki harukawa asked the boy beside her. "i know, right? it surprised me too.." maki stared at the ground for a second, then looked back at shuichi as they walked together. "how did you find out?" shuichi bit on his bottom lip, some saliva being left behind once he began to speak. "i.." he huffed. "i stood on the toilet to watch them over the stall door," shuichi blurted out. the two then stopped in their tracks and remained in a deafening silence.

suddenly, maki finally opened her lips to speak. "well.. what did they say to each other?" shuichi looked at her. "well," they both began walking again. "kaede shoved him, right? told him how annoying he is! then kaito just gave the same attitude back. and they said they 'couldn't put up with each other anymore'. but, the second they got outside the bathroom.. kaito had her bags, and they were both happy. they hate each others' guts, maki!" shuichi rambled on as they got into the bus. they both then proceeded to sit in the 2 seats up front. "so they don't make out as we thought so?" maki questioned. "n-" but before shuichi could answer, they rocked up.

kaito and kaede walked onto the bus, making everyone on it turn their heads in both amazement and fear. "-ooooohhh,," shuichi finished, shuddering. he then sat up straight, putting his hands on the manga in his lap. he tried to ignore them, so he began reading it. kaito looked over, a smirk forming on his face. "hey, faggot." kaito leaned over, snatching it out of his hand. "what ya reading, creep?" he looked at it. shuichi gulped, now all eyes on him. "it's nothing, momota. can i have it back?" shuichi put out his hand, turning his head away. kaito smirked, flashing his fangs. "hey, everybody!" he hollered, causing everyone to look up. "have ya seen the bullshit saihara reads?" he laughed. kaede cackled, her laugh almost witch-like. maki stared at kaede in both disgust and.. something else. she couldn't quite put her finger on it. meanwhile, kaito had turned the whole bus on shuichi as they pointed and laughed at him. "christ, man! you actually read this shit? god, it's so stupid." kaito spoke with a chuckle. "gay," he threw the book back at shuichi, spitting in his face. shuichi yelped, hiding his face under his hat as everyone continued laughing at him. "c'mon, hon." kaito wrapped his arm around kaede's waist and lead her to the back of the bus. shuichi groaned, wiping his face. "his breath smells like cigarettes," maki kept her mouth shut as shuichi whined. "akamatsu. uh.. akamatsu's hair looked nice today," maki softly stammered. shuichi looked up and lifted his hat from his face. "what?!" maki gulped. "nothing! she just.. nothing!" maki continued to stammer and stutter. shuichi nudged her. "maki! you're not in love with her! you can't be!" maki started fumbling over her words. "i'm not! i can't fall in love at all! it'll mess up my grades," she said, scrolling through her textbook to try and distract herself. shuichi sighed. "whatever, i'll believe you." then, the bus took off.

during the bus ride, almost all you could hear was the sound of kaito and kaede talking, making everyone laugh as they all listened. i mean, they could make every neck in the school turn. once the bus pulled up outside shuichi's house, maki and shuichi stood and took each of their bags. "is that your place, fag?" kaito shouted at him as he bit down on the cigarette he lit during the ride. this statement caused the entire bus to roar with laughter. the laughs that stuck out the most was kaito's belly laugh and kaede's witch-like cackle. those damn laughed have been tormenting shuichi and maki since middle school and all through high school. maki and shuichi stared at them, quiet and awkward. the laughs didn't die down though. "you two are so boring!" kaede proclaimed, standing up and walking over to maki. she leaned over and stared her down in the eyes. maki's shoulders tensed as kaede started. "..i-" before maki could say anything, kaede pulled her gum out of her mouth and grabbed one of maki's ponytails, putting the gum in her hair. "can you hold that for me? you're the only trash can on the bus." kaede said slyly. maki yelped. "h-hey!" she tried pulling it out, which just got it more tangled. "u-uh.. i-i'm sorry." she then turned around, scurrying off the bus as she grabbed shuichi's wrist. shuichi had been waiting outside the bus the whole time. "woah! maki?! what happened?" shuichi hollered. "she put gum in my hair.." she sobbed, running into shuichi's house. meanwhile, kaede laughed menacingly. "oh no! i made little harukawa cryyyy!" she faked a pout, but continued to cackle and cachinnate. she made her way back to the end of the bus next to kaito, resting her head on his shoulder. then, the bus took off to its next stop.