- 33 -

Pitch-black symbols burning bright,

Doors crack open,

Prepared to fight.

"Siderion?"

I put down my pencil and did my best to hide my frustration. "Yes, Mr. Roe?"

"Someone's looking for that textbook on shifter discs again," he called from the front of the library. "Do you remember where it went?"

"Exactly where it was supposed to, Mr. Roe," I sighed. I reluctantly stood, leaving my journal open on my desk, and glanced up at the towering bookshelves behind me. Finding the book in question, I lit my symbol and thought, Liykuda. White magic brought it down to meet me as I strolled to the front desk.

The ancient librarian watched me with a searching gaze as he took the equally decrepit tome from my hands. "Who taught you to do that?" When I appeared confused, he clarified, "Using that spell without the word."

"I taught myself nonverbal magic after the Council attack, remember?"

"Oh, of course I do," he said dismissively, though I was sure he didn't. "Rather impressive, boy." Mr. Roe slid the book across the counter. "Take good care of that one. Every day I'm more convinced that it'll fall apart on me," he chuckled.

I glanced at the gray-cloaked man on the other side of the front desk as he gingerly picked up the book and scanned its cover. Some part of me was so desperate to believe that he was Kaces that I almost thought I was right. Today would be the perfect day for him to return, too, I thought. Savoring the thought of meeting him again, I found abandoned memories and words never said in his unkempt black hair and pensive eyes.

The bright smile that crossed the man's unfamiliar face when he looked up broke the illusion. "This looks perfect," he told the librarian. "Thank you. And he's right, you know," he said to me. "That's quite a difficult skill. You have to know how to control your thoughts very precisely."

I thanked him, smiling shyly, and stared in muted disappointment as he left the library. "You really should apply for the Order guard," Mr. Roe croaked. "They would surely be delighted to have such a versatile young mage protecting us. I wonder if a Councilor might hire you."

"But who would take care of the library if I left?" I asked in concern.

Mr. Roe backed up his wheelchair and turned around, rolling down the main hall through the monstrous shelves. I followed him at a slow pace. "You've given my old bones a proper vacation, but I took care of this place on my own for years. Now that I can get around again, I'm sure I'd do fine by myself," he said with pride. He shakily swiped his owl symbol and incanted, "Liyruda."

A book just out of his reach turned to stone, and I stifled a laugh. "That's the third one this week, Mr. Roe," I said as I reversed the spell and fetched the book for him. It was a guide to internal Council law. "Do you want this for the inauguration today?" My voice caught in my throat as I remembered that it was drawing tantalizingly near.

Mr. Roe looked up at me with sunken, understanding eyes. "Well, yes, but maybe you should read it first, if you're still keen to see it for yourself." He opened the book to a page titled 'Councilor Inaugurations' and handed it back to me. "Are you?"

"I think so." I nearly looked down to check my watch before remembering for perhaps the hundredth time that I had lost it in the Council attack. Peering at the clock tower outside the library's big front windows, I saw that the inauguration was quite soon.

"You're dismissed for the day," Mr. Roe said kindly.

I headed to the back of the library to pocket my journal. "Thank you, Mr. Roe," I said as I passed him again on my way to the front desk.

The librarian slid a thin pamphlet out from between a few books and began precisely refolding it. "I hope seeing our government in action proves useful for you."

I stepped nervously out of the library through its huge glass doors and meandered down the steps and into the landing plaza. "Surem," I murmured, and Anahid materialized at my side. Rays of sunlight ricocheted off of his radiant white feathers and pelt. I distractedly scratched his head, glancing around the deserted plaza. There was no sign of the gray mage.

Eventually, Anahid nudged me in the side with his beak, and I flinched. "Are we going?" he asked gently. I nodded and mounted him, flipping open the book that Mr. Roe had given me. Before I read any of it, though, I slid my journal into its open spine and scratched a few more lines down. Anahid waited for me to put my journal and pencil away, and once I wrapped my arms around his neck, he sprinted and took off, heading left, towards the Order's headquarters.