- 12 -

The next few days were gloomy, cold, and uneventful, and my dose of truth hadn't helped matters. We did get fed, but barely. Kaces never appeared, and it was unclear how food appeared in the cell. We didn't see the door open.

One day, I found a corner to myself and decided I needed someone to talk with to pass the time, so I called Anahid, thinking intently, Surem. I transformed, but I was so far into the darkness that nobody noticed. My extra size was a bit awkward, so I laid down with my feet under me and rested my bird head on the ground, tapping my tail lightly against the wall.

Anahid spoke right away, and he was mournful. How your luck has changed, Siderion. Your own people fear you.

It's good to hear your voice, Anahid. I'm so lonely here.

I know. I can sense your emotions.

I'm still stuck in between the two sides, I mused. My symbol is Dark, but I don't agree with the Kirevean cause at all.

You'll have to wait and see what their plans are for all of you. We were both silent after that, not wanting to prolong the uncomfortable conversation. After a time, Anahid asked, Would you like to play chess?

It seemed like an odd request, but I agreed. Where do we get the pieces? I asked him.

You know the spell for simple material creation, Olustur. That's from school.

Yes, but I was never very good at it. You know that.

Now would be a perfect time to practice it. Start with the pawns.

I focused on the metal ground right below my feathered head. I was starting to get used to the cold, but it still felt unpleasant to be surrounded by it. With my lack of practice in creation magic, I didn't want to attempt the spell nonverbally, so I spoke it. "Olustur." I watched my beak move with vague curiosity, but it didn't bother me anymore.

The magic from my right talon condensed into a sphere, forming a rough outline of the piece. I spent a few minutes perfecting the edges with my mind until it was just right and then released the spell. The pawn clacked to the ground. Right, now do it again.

I sighed, almost wistfully. Just like Kaces used to say.

And so, the game began. It was just as much fun to create the pieces as it would have been to play with them, and by the time I was done, I felt like I'd done a serious mental workout. I was about to relax when Anahid mentioned, The board.

Miraculously, nobody else had approached to investigate my transformation or my new plaything. I lined the pieces up on the board with a combination of my rather maneuverable beak and my closer claws, and finally, the game was ready. White or black? I asked Anahid.

Oh, most definitely white.