Chapter 17

"Your dress make it alright?" - "Yes, the stain's all gone." - "Good. It looked good on you. I was sorry you had to take it off so soon." - "You shouldn't be sorry. It wasn't your fault."

Seokjin absorbed my words with a wry smile.

"...Was thinking we should probably talk. Are you busy right now?" - "Not at all. In fact, I was about to look for you. I was hoping we could talk too." - "We had the same idea."

Amused, Seokjin sat on my bed, beside me.

His company usually filled me with delight, but tonight I felt strangely solemn.

We were having such fun just an hour ago. The sound of our blissful laughter in the dancehall was a fading echo in my mind.

"Hey, cara mia?"

Seokjin was the first to speak up.

"Yes?" - "...What did he tell you?"

By 'he', Seokjin means Jackson.

"Jackson told me several things. If I understood him correctly, strangest amongst them was that you'd never lived a mortal life."

Seokjin didn't speak.

"That's the part I don't get. You died and were turned into a vampire by Namjoon like the others, weren't you? ...Or maybe I heard him wrong. Everything he said was like a puzzle wrapped in a poem. Or he was joking, I don't know which."

I sat there. Maybe waiting for an answer. Maybe hoping I wouldn't hear one.

"...Cara mia..."

Our gazes entangled and the man I loved gave me the answer I feared most to hear.

"He's right." - "What do you mean, 'he's right'?" - "I'll explain. If you're ready to listen."

Seokjin folded and refolded his hands.

"Myself and Namjoon, we're different from the other vampires here - the lesser vampires. We're the only purebloods."

A pureblooded vampire? Lesser vampires?

I hadn't realised there were different types of vampires until that moment.

"What does that mean? What's the difference between a pureblood and a... a lesser vampire?"

This suddenly felt like a barrier between us... another barrier?

Still, I had to know. A part of me couldn't wait.

"A pureblood vampire - or a greater vampire, they sometimes say - is the child of two pureblood parents. They are born a vampire. Lesser vampires are former humans, turned into a vampire by a pureblood's bite. In fact - pureblooded vampires are the only ones who can turn humans into vampires."

That's how it works? It's the bite of a pureblood that turns a human into a vampire?

Seokjin chuckled, and I wondered strangely what he found amusing about this. I realised after a moment that it had been a self-deprecating laugh. This was hard for him.

"...Unlike the others here, I never died. I don't just have an extended life - my life will, most likely, never come to an end. I'm immortal." - "...You're immortal? What about aging?" - "Once we reach maturity, greater vampires stop changing. Our bodies do repair themselves-... cut me into pieces, or stab me in the heart, and I would just heal and continue to live."

I struggled to imagine. In a World with time travel and vampires, Seokjin was an immortal.

"You didn't travel through time to get here, like the others - you've lived every year of your life from the moment of your birth until now?" - "Yeah. Couple of centuries."