Confessions

As the person infront of me has finished with their confession, it was my turn to go in. At first I was unsure of what to say, but then I gathered my courage and by the time I finished confessing, it was over with. I felt clean and pure inside. But just as I walked out the door, someone bumped into me. It was.. it was... Derek? I gasped and turned away covering my face with my jacket and tried to walk away as fast as possible, hoping he wouldn't suspect me and tell me to stop.

"Excuse me? Are you okay? Um, I'm sorry I bumped into you. My mistake, don't mind me."

I didn't bother turning around, so I kept going until I reached the doors and walked outside.

Phew! That was close, I didn't get caught by Derek, I thought to myself.
I knew Derek, probably more than anyone else I knew of. Derek and I used to be best friends when we were younger. The first time I met him was when his family moved right next to the seminar. Back then, Kyle and I lived with Sister Angela and her other sister. Everyday after school, we would go to the seminar after we'd finish homework. We'd pray for about 30 minutes or an hour. But after that, Sister Angela would let Kyle and I go out and play at the park.

Then one day, Kyle and I were at the park and we saw a new kid come to play. Derek looked so different back then, and he was older than me and Kyle by a year . Kyle started playing with Derek more and more leaving me out. I admired him everytime he'd come to the park to play with my brother. He was a role model to Kyle and was like a big brother to both me and Kyle. When Kyle went to stay with his friends to do homework for a couple months, I was very lonely and bored. No one was around, but Kyle did come and visit sometimes, but rarely. I usually went to the park and wrote in my jounal. The nature was fascinating and I loved everything about it. I'd always finish writing in my journal and then fall asleep on the bench while the nature around me surrounds filling my mind with a sense of everlasting peace. It was my escape from reality.

But one day as I was sleeping on the bench at the park, I hear footsteps coming up from behind me. At first I though it was just me imagining things, but after the sound started to come closer and closer. And all of a sudden the steps froze and I didn't move on bit. I slowly open my eyes, and I see a human figure infront of me. My sight was blurry, but I closed my eyes and opened them again. It was Derek. He looked sad with his tiring eyes. I didn't say anything at first, but then I just sat up.

"What's going on.. Derek?" I asked him. "I didn't want to leave like this.." he replied. "What do you mean... leave?" I got worried. "My parent's are getting divorced and my mom wants to move back to my hometown." I broke down inside, but I tried to comfort him. He sat down and hugged me. That was the first time I saw him in tears. "I honestly really like you, and Kyle is such a great friend too. Too bad I can't say bye to him. When I come back, I don't know when that'll be, but I promise to stop by. I love you."

And that was the last time I heard from him. No one has ever said, "I love you" to me, besides Sister Angela. But Derek hasn't returned until now, and it has been over 10 years. I don't know if he's changed, but the thing is, I don't know if he still remembers me.