snapshot #oo2

Eudora's mouth dropped open as the drinks were set before them. "Oh, you have got to be kidding me."

Isha flashed a smile to the bartender and took a careful sip of her drink, the sugary sweetness of the raspberry liqueur and 7UP combined with the warmth of the spiced rum eased the tension in her shoulders even before the alcohol kicked in.

Eudora was still gaping. "It's a real drink."

"Of course it's real. It's also fucking amazing - thank you, Tony!" Isha called and waved to the bartender, who winked and ginned so wide a dimple appeared. Her eyes flicked back over to her friend. "It's just a name, dude."

"Oh my god, could you stop flirting for like two seconds?" Eudora laughed, her cheeks turning red. "And who would name anything you literally consume Bong Water?"

"Stoners who like fruity delicious drinks, that's who. Now try it! When have I ever steered you wrong?"

Eudora's attention went from the drink to Isha as her eyebrows shot up but the blues and greens circling her head were already fighting through all the gray. "Freshman year-"

"-Pi Kappa Phi, the fireworks display, blah, blah, blah. I'll have you know we learned two very important lessons that night."

"Don't bring the weird grunge girl to frat parties."

"And don't make the guy who bought the keg cry." Isha rolled her eyes. "I dunno, for a weird grunge girl, I feel like I really helped him open up."

Eudora sighed but she was still smiling as she raised the glass. "To helping those in need."

"Here, here!" Isha practically shouted as they clinked their glasses. "Speaking of helping those in need..."

"Here we go," Eudora mumbled as she sipped the drink, paused, and met Isha's gaze with wide eyes. "Oh my god."

"Did I not tell you? It is amazing."

Eudora took another sip. "That is really good."

"Anyhoo, about your boyfriend." Isha smiled and lifted one brow.

Eudora nearly choked on the next sip and set the glass down. "He's not my boyfriend."

"Future boyfriend?"

"No."

"Future husband?"

"Stop-" Dora said, choking on laughter.

"Fine," Isha conceded. "Future side piece."

Eudora hid her beet red face in his hands. "Shut up!"

"To be fair, for someone who thinks he's so closed off, he went over the allotted time just ranting about the academy."

"Like, the Umbrella Academy? His family?"

"What? No. The police academy." Isha frowned but as the realization hit her, she slammed her hand down, nearly knocking over her drink. "Holy shit, that's what he's from! Damn, Dora. You got yourself a bonafide superhero."

Eudora shook her head slowly. "I got nothing. He's a good friend and, you know, a good guy in general."

"Wow." Isha's shit eating grin eased when she saw a shift in the colors, when she allowed them to take up her vision. Still blues and greens, but then...that color she couldn't quite identify bloomed somewhere in between - small, but still present. "You really like him."

Dora shook her head like she gave up. "Shush. I do not."

"Not that I blame you." Isha took a long sip of the deep green drink. "Cause damn."

In reality, Isha and Diego argued for about twenty solid minutes. Everytime she tried to connect or get him to elaborate, it was a whole endeavor - and yet, his bad attitude and glib behavior made it almost fun to find a comeback. It wasn't something that happened often; actually it hadn't happened since meeting Eudora. She knew exactly what to say without scanning all the dark and muted colors in his brain - not to help him necessarily but to keep him talking. She just knew.

"Huh. I haven't gotten a 'damn' since..." Dora trailed off stirring her drink under the pink and violet lights. "Eric, right?"

Isha cringed and held up a finger. "Hold up. That was Mullet-Eric and there's a whole different 'aviator reading glasses and rusted pickup truck' context to that 'damn'."

"Whereas, Diego..." Dora pushed and a slow smile formed on her face.

Isha matched her expression and nodded approvingly and glanced down at her phone as a text came in. "A-plus in the looks category. The whole vigilante thing's played out, kind of bargain bin Bruce Wayne, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt."

"Really?" Dora asked, her gaze turning suspicious. "What brought on the sudden benevolence?"

Isha unlocked her phone and turned it around for Eudora to see. "Because he just made a counseling appointment all on his own."

"There may just be hope for him yet," Dora said with a soft smile.

"Maybe." She pocketed her phone, pleased with herself and getting a slight buzz once she slammed the rest of the contents of the glass - an easy side effect of having five different types of alcohol in such a small space. "Okay, but for real - we're best friends. Sharing is caring, Dora."

Eudora lightly shoved Isha's arm. "No, you perve!"

Isha ordered a second drink while the conversation and laughter went on into the night. "Oh my god. I get it."

"Hm?"

"Dora. Diego. It all makes sense."

"Shut up!"

"You're practically made for each other!"

"Oh my god, stop!"