3. Of Drinks and Drunks

Myriem pouted, resting his head on his desk. Only his trusted servant Ruey was in his studio with him, but he was cautious of the eyes in the walls.

Ruey poured him another cup of blood mixed with wine, adding a few drops of her own blood. Being half-vampire herself, her blood was unappetizing and would serve to prevent him from losing all inhibitions; despite his seemingly drunk state, he was only tipsy at best.

"Damn that Keel-jaan," Myriem slurred, lifting and smashing the cup against the desk, causing some of it to splash out. Ruey calmly wiped the mess and refilled his cup as he repeated the action thrice over.

"If the Siren Princess is so tempting, why has he not married her himself?" Myriem complained. Ruey nodded agreeably, allowing the Prince to vent. " 'Charming and personable' - what, has he already had his way with her? He's sending me his leftovers." Myriem spewed nonsense, knocking the cup over.

Ruey refilled the cup with her own blood. Resigned, Myriem drank the blood, hiding a grimace. Ruey's eyes flashed with amusement.

Myriem rested his head against the desk again. Damn that Ruey, she knew her blood tasted foul! Nevertheless, he appreciated the sobriety. He continued the charade, cursing and complaining like a drunkard until the spies in the walls heard their fill.

Only when he felt the last of them leave did he gesture at Ruey to clean up. Myriem got up and stared out the large glass window of his studio. It was only at night that they could open the curtains, but Myriem wished he hadn't seen the moon this night. It looked so lonely up in the sky by itself, not a cloud in sight.

He sighed. Ruey cleaned the mess in silence, knowing his heart was aching for Darien. Darien had refused to see the Prince all day, ignoring his summons until Myriem gave up.

Ruey knew well of their true relationship. She dared not put it in words, but having stood behind Myriem for so long, even her heart ached for Darien. The life of a royal was one of excess indulgence and excess sacrifice. Myriem could have power, control, money - but he could never have a free heart.

Myriem knew it well. He stared out at the stables, picturing Darien brushing the horses obsessively. It was night, so there was no need for capes, but Darien likely had his on anyways, pulled over his head to conceal his frustration.

Myriem sighed, turning back to his study. There was nothing to be done. Anything worth having was worth sacrificing over, but Myriem had no intention of sacrificing Darien. Whether he married a princess or a troll, a siren or a frog, it did not matter, his heart would not be moved. He had only one in his heart, and Darien would still be his.

Myriem would make sure of it.

Second Prince Keel didn't look up as the unassuming servant entered the study. She quietly traded places with the servant standing by, filling his cup with fresh cow blood wine.

"Third Prince Myriem is unpleased and feels slighted by the bride the Second Prince has brought him" Ina reported swiftly as she filled the cup, voice quieter than a fly's wings.

Second Prince Keel nodded in dismissal and looked back at his document. "Track the arrival of the Aselan entourage." Ina nodded and bowed, leaving as quickly as she came.

The Second Prince's advisor frowned. "Myriem is complaining? He doesn't know what's good for him," Cirpre scoffed. "Second Prince Keel, why do you insist on giving the Siren Princess to him?"

Cirpre couldn't understand Second Prince Keel. His recent work restructuring the tax system of the Eastern most province had generated millions of extra gold, and just as Keel was gaining hold in the Council of Finance Third Prince Myriem had Keel sent to the border, highlighting Keel's military weakness in front of the Court.

Keel was not known for his military prowess, it was true. With Myriem's Court influence, Keel's financial contributions were overshadowed, and Keel was sent to deal with the border skirmishes. It had been difficult, but at long last, Keel was able to gain a holding in the military, and even brought back an alliance with the Sirens.

But Keel marrying the Siren Princess off to Myriem was like handing his competitor his meal.

"Third Prince Myriem is looking to gain alliances with neighbouring countries," Cirpre continued. "Why hand the Sirens to him?"

Keel finished signing a few documents before answering. "You know Myriem's plans," Keel answered casually. "But do you know of the Siren's?"

Cirpre frowned. Keel handed him a document. Cirpre recognized it as from the Siren charter, a passage on marriage and familial relations. He read it with confusion, until he read a certain clause. When realization struck, he gaped at Keel. "You don't mean...?"

Keel's lips twitched but he remained silent. His brother could have this Siren 'princess'. Keel wanted nothing to do with 'her'.

----------

Thank you for reading! Please add this book to your library and vote if you enjoy it!

All feedback is welcome, short comments, long comments, constructive criticism, '<3' comments, everything! Please feel free to let me know what you think!