6. Of Plots and Thoughts

Myriem stood up with his siblings, all bowing and curtseying in unison, only seating themselves when their parents indicated they could.

King Sepalem and Queen Karin took their time settling themselves, servants rushing to fill their cups with some light refreshing blood before the meal began - the blood of young pure women, King Sepalem's favourite. While he sipped at the drink, Queen Karin cast an assessing look at Myriem and his siblings, her eyes lingering on the younger three. Only they were fully her children, after all.

Her eyes flashed with pride as she took them in. Glancing at her step-children, the motherly affection instantly turned into something colder, more calculative.

Queen Karin was only the mother to Third Prince Myriem, Fourth Prince Niman, and Second Princess Fien. The older three were born of the deceased former Queen Filea, King Aselan's previous wife before she died of illness.

First Prince Geulpri, First Princess Havine, Second Princess Zena, and Second Prince Keel were all born of Queen Filea, and while Queen Karin generally did not mistreat them as their stepmother, she held little affection for them - and they her. Keel was the most resentful, and as his plotting lead him directly against her, hostility was the most palpable between them.

Queen Karin gave Keel a cordial smile. She and the King had already greeted him when he arrived from the border, but she repeated the motions for the eyes in the room.

Keel played the role of diligent son returning from an excursion well, and it was only when he mentioned the treaty that King Sepalem interrupted, waving his hand to call for servants to begin serving.

Keel bit his tongue in annoyance, but quietened down. He knew his father was just irritable and not intentionally distracting from the true purpose of this meeting he had set up. He could stand to be patient, it would be worth it. Calming himself, he took a bite of the fragrant, smoked meat the servants laid out for him, eyes flashing with restrained anticipation.

Myriem eyed him, a sinking feeling in his chest.

Niman let out a quiet, disgusted noise as he saw the food on his elder half-siblings plates. His revulsion was echoed in Queen Karin.

After all, the King, Queen, and Queen Karin's children were all pureblood vampires, whereas Queen Filea's children were only half. A human would find it beneath them to eat grass off the ground like a cow, of course the purebloods found it beneath them to eat the foods of their prey.

Niman saw Myriem's raw steak and gave his brother a contemptuous look. Myriem ignored him. Fien picked at her steak idly, neither taking nor rejecting it, while Niman sat with nothing but a goblet of pure cow blood.

The meal progressed in silence until King Sepalem had his fill of blood-fermented foods, a high delicacy most vampires could only dream of indulging in. When he sat back, Keel straightened his back.

"Keel, Adi," King Sepalem's mood had lifted, he was willing to indulge his second son in his plans. "Tell us about your trip to the Country of Aselan."

Keel's eyes flashed and his siblings cleared their ears. Even the servants straightened up, everyone eager to have the rumours confirmed.

Keel was quick to wax poetic. He spoke at length about the political unrest he faced and his judgment on the situation, knowing well that it held his father's interest even as Niman yawned, and took pleasure in how Fien's eyes lit up when he mentioned the terms of their treaty.

When Keel mentioned he brought back a child of the King of Aselan as a show of goodwill from the latter, no one moved. King Sepalem took a sip of wine.

"Since you brought back such a bounty, let me ask," King Sepalem took a sip, eyeing his children with affectionate scheming. "Who should she be wed to?"

"The child of Aselan is a charming, elegant Siren," Keel hemmed and hawed. "And to ensure the unity of our Country of Lee and their Country of Aselan, we must demonstrate sincerity."

Keel had left the options down to the four brothers in the room. Geulpri gave a cold shoulder, Keel had not taken the opportunity even when clearly presented to him, leaving Niman and Myriem. Havine displayed no interest, but Fien watched with glee.

While Myriem was prepared, he still felt a heaviness in his chest as he realized Keel truly intended to have him marry as quickly as possible.

The oppression weighed him down, and he desperately wished Darien had been there. Even a quick glimpse would have settled him some, but he could not fault Darien for his lack of presence.

King Sepalem looked between the two, his gaze chilling. Queen Karin sat quietly at his side, dipping apple skins into thickened blood, dabbing delicately at her face as she watched. Either one was her own, so she wouldn't complain, but her preference was already clear.

"Very well," King Sepalem sat back. He looked at Myriem. "Third Adi, I don't suppose you have any complaints?" he asked, remembering Myriem's prior refutations, daring him to voice them once more.

Myriem had no place to speak. He had many cards in his sleeve, but none for this moment. He demurely looked down. "None, Abi. I do as Abi says."

King Sepalem wiped his lips and stood up. The servants didn't move. "Then it is settled. We will hold a banquet in two days time to congratulate Second Adi's first successful military expedition and the unification of our countries of Lee and Aselan through treaty and through marriage."

He looked at Myriem. "Third Adi, congratulations on your engagement. The wedding will be held on the night of the blood moon."

Only then did the servants begin moving, a quiet hum of chatter instantly spreading across the castle, across the capital, across the lands. Havine and Geulpri conferred quietly, and Niman was teased by Fien for his continued single status.

Keel gave Myriem a restrained smile. "Congratulations, Ani-chi. I look forward to your wedding."

Myriem was a prince, and it was only natural that he repay his inherited power and indulgent lifestyle with his freedom. Having been unattracted to women since he awoke with dirty sheets, he was resigned to the fact that he would eventually have to marry one. But yet he couldn't help the resentment he felt - both towards Keel and this spoiled princess he was to marry.

----------

Thank you for reading! Please add this book to your library and vote if you enjoy it!

All feedback is welcome, short comments, long comments, constructive criticism, '<3' comments, everything! Please feel free to let me know what you think!