14. Of Teasing and Displeasing

Myriem was not pleased to see Keel leaning against the wall after their daily court session. He kept his face faced forward as he walked past his older brother, but his attempt to ignore that jackass was quelled very quickly.

"I heard Myriem-chi's wife has very shapely legs."

Myriem halted right in his tracks, gritting his teeth and slowly turning his head around at his brother's quiet provocation.

Keel's eyes were closed as he reclined regally against the wall, but Myriem could see the sneering condescension his eyes would have held had they been open.

Myriem kept his voice low as well. "I wasn't aware Ani-jaan had so much free time. Perhaps you would benefit from helping out Havine-Aji?"

Keel's jaw ticked imperceptibly. "I thank Ani-chi for the kind suggestion," he replied stiffly. The glory of his first military achievement had already faded, and he knew the mocking would resume, but it didn't make it any less unpleasant. 

But a little mocking was nothing he couldn't throw back. "In fact, I heard Havine-Aji has been concerned about the disturbed about the disputes at the Bipartisan River. Perhaps Myriem-chi could take his wife there to celebrate their marriage."

The Bipartisan River was connected to Lake Nirvana in the south of their country, stretching from the south-east to the south-west. It was called the Bipartisan River because it served as the border between their Lee Country and the plains and forests of the Faune Country, the country of werewolves.

While the werewolves and vampires were legally at peace, the clan-like nature of the werewolves' society meant their loyalty to werewolf royalty was nonexistent. Particularly in those packs at the border, insurgency and rebellion was common as they attempted to create their own country and some establish land belonging to the Country of Lee as their own.

Myriem had not yet caught all the details of the current situation down there, but he didn't need to—Keel was suggesting Myriem take his bride to where there was water in light of her being a siren. 

Anyone could be sympathetic to a siren's longing for water. For a prince newly wedded to a beautiful siren wife, it was only expected that he treat her well. Myriem could not refuse, as that would be spun into slander of how heartless he was to his homesick wife. 

Myriem had a suspicion that Keel would be bringing up his water-homesick wife every time he wanted Myriem out of the capital. 

"I thank Ani-jaan for the kind suggestion." Myriem looked away pointedly, wanting this meaningless provocative conversation to end. 

But Keel didn't let him off. "Myriem-chi should treat his wife well. It wouldn't do any good if Ami was to find out, Ami has always been very stubborn..."

Myriem's eyes narrowed at his brother, a suspicion growing. He was well aware of his mother's behaviour. It wasn't like Keel to be so insistent. "What, pray, should Ami not find out?" 

Keel gave Myriem a polite, restrained smile, the flicker of amusement in his eye not going unnoticed. Myriem scowled reflexively at that condescending look before recalling his position. 

Myriem said flatly, "Pray forgive this one's lack of intelligence. This lowly one humbly asks Ani-jaan to educate this unworthy one."

Keel was unable to hide his amusement, but remained silent, patronizingly looking Myriem up and down. 

Myriem was at a loss. It was evident that Keel had something he was holding above Myriem, but Myriem didn't even know what it was, never mind know how to deal with it.

Was he implying that Julie Anne and Keel had some secret connection? Myriem was already aware of that possibility, but nothing could come of that for a long while. It was years until Keel could use Julie Anne and the Aselans to back him in the battle for the throne, so why would Keel bring it up?

Myriem recalled the first sentence Keel spoke to him. 'I heard Myriem-chi's wife has very shapely legs'. Was Keel implying that he had illicit relations or interest in Julie Anne? 

With no other leads, Myriem's eyes narrowed in suspicion.

"If Ani-jaan had made his interest in the Siren Princess clear earlier on, he would have received many blessings," Myriem spat. 

As Myriem restrained his anger, Keel's look slowly turned contemplative.

Myriem was no longer interested. While a part of him was instinctually furious at the idea that what was his was stolen by another—he was a man after all —he wasn't especially bothered by Julie Anne and Keel having close relations.

Rather, he was bitter that despite Keel and Julie Anne's possible closeness, Keel had put him in this position where he had to marry Julie Anne anyways. 

Even if Keel was one-sided in his interest in the princess and she was still pure, Myriem would have to to marry a woman he didn't want because of Keel.

Keel seemed to come to a realization, but Myriem was no longer listening. Turning away with a stormy look on his face, he missed the baffled confusion on his older brother's face.