Chapter Three

"Please be careful."

I look over at Mark as he was sitting on the couch. The little lighting we had was surrounding him and it was battery-powered lamps that hung on the walls.

Giving him a small smile, I nodded as I grabbed my mask, gloves, hat and bag. I had on my hoodie and the boots that I always wore.

I was ready to go.

"There's more houses down that one street. The one off of forty five."

"Just be careful." He sighed as he looked back at the book in his hands.

Looking at him, I knew he worried about me but I've been doing this for years and I was a mastermind at this job.

After walking out, I shut the door behind me before walking to the truck at the edge of the woods. I opened the door, tossed the bag inside before getting in.

I started it before placing my mask on and my hat, hiding my identity. I made sure everything was ready as I left the spot and drove out of the hide-out.

Driving down the road, I checked the time on the radio and it read 11:30.

I held onto the steering wheel and took a few deep breaths like I always do before hitting houses. It helps with the nerves inside my stomach and they always come out when it's night and it was time.

I drove down a few roads before making my way to the main road I was looking down. I went down the road, slowly and looked around as I was making sure nobody was around.

The thing with looking for houses is you have to make sure nobody is home. Otherwise the job is over and you have to find another place.

Some people like staying in their homes so it's harder to get a hit.

When I came into view of the house, I drove past it a few times to look around and make sure the cars weren't there and the lights were off.

It's sometimes tricky because other people might be there even with the lights off and no cars in the driveway.

This means you have to be extra careful as to how to go about doing it.

I parked the truck in the a woods down the road a little, making sure it was covered and you couldn't see it from the road.

Afterwards, I made my way through the woods and saw the house come into view. I smiled as I made my way to the fence that was dividing the woods and the yard away from each other.

I looked around some before hopping the fence and slowly walking along side of it towards the house.

It was a little ways away from the road, which was a good thing. I don't like houses that are too close to the road and having them far back is a bonus.

I made my way to the house and saw a two-car garage. I slowly made my way towards it and looked around before coming up to it and stopping.

Looking around some more, I listened carefully for any signs of noises. As I stood there for a few moments, close to a minute, I didn't hear anything so I was back to searching the house.

I looked around for any windows that might be opened as far as the curtains on the inside. I didn't want to take the chance of walking in front of one and someone being inside.

As far as I can see, nobody is home and I hope it stays that way.

I walked to a few windows, which was closed and locked. I came to a back door then stopped before grabbing the handle and moving it.

Locked.

"Not a problem." I whispered to myself.

I grabbed a paper clip out of my front pocket before kneeling down at eye level with the knob. I placed the clip inside and moved it around a little before taking it out and adjusting it to where it would correspond with the pattern inside the lock.